Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revive! The market seems wicked slow right now. Anyone get excited from E3? Finally, a new Battlefront was announced. I can't f'ing wait. Of course The Witcher 3 looks awesome. I've only been reading small articles on E3, any great looking games catch your eye?

I am looking forward for South Park the stick of truth. I am a huge fan, I hope it is done well.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/games/stick-of-truth

On an impulse buy, I purchased Crusader Kings II Complete Edition on a Steam sale for $15 and have been obsessed with it. It is a deep strategy game about medieval politics, not for everyone.
I can't believe that I have been missing out on Paradox Studios flavor of grand strategy games.
Looking forward to their next release: Europa Universalis IV

I really want to believe that the next-gen consoles will succeed but I have my doubts.
It really looks like the console market is headed for a crash; I recommend you save your cash and upgrade your PC.
I can still be convinced; What system are you pre-ordering and why?

I keep forgetting about that south park game. I thought it would never come out.
I won't be preordering either console. Eventually, I will most likely get the xbox one (xbox has been my console of choice for the last decade). I'll wait for the first price drop, see how everything plays out. The original 360 was a 20 gb defective joke. Both sides will charge a premium for features that will probably be laughable within a year or two. The beginning of the last gen left me disgruntled. It just seemed like they forced out a brick to compete with the other guy.

I keep forgetting about that south park game. I thought it would never come out.
I won't be preordering either console. Eventually, I will most likely get the xbox one (xbox has been my console of choice for the last decade). I'll wait for the first price drop, see how everything plays out. The original 360 was a 20 gb defective joke. Both sides will charge a premium for features that will probably be laughable within a year or two. The beginning of the last gen left me disgruntled. It just seemed like they forced out a brick to compete with the other guy.

PS4 -- $399
One -- $499 (although i thought initially it was $599 somewhere)

and have you been missing all the drama? Sony took a crap all over Microsoft at E3 lol, and i think the majority of the public is looking at Microsoft as slapping the consumer in the face.
I'll probably look to the PS4 in the future and i've been a strong 360 supporter, but after the series of restrictions they're implementing with the new system, they can go F*** themselves.. (and the BS that the Kinnect has to be plugged in or the system won't work is ridiculous)..

here's a hiliarious rant that breaks down the Xbox One

you've been warned :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 -- $399
One -- $499 (although i thought initially it was $599 somewhere)

and have you been missing all the drama? Sony took a crap all over Microsoft at E3 lol, and i think the majority of the public is looking at Microsoft as slapping the consumer in the face.
I'll probably look to the PS4 in the future and i've been a strong 360 supporter, but after the series of restrictions they're implementing with the new system, they can go F*** themselves.. (and the BS that the Kinnect has to be plugged in or the system won't work is ridiculous)..

here's a hiliarious rant that breaks down the Xbox One

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryB-hdtpQRw

you've been warned :mug:

WTF, is this a joke?! I have apparently missed a lot. I'm so pissed right now. Thanks for the heads up; the horribly depressing heads up. Wow. I guess that's the end of the xbox.

Edit: Now that the G4 app is dead, you guys know any good apps for gaming news?

This is the state of gaming for PC and it is coming to consoles; games are consumable upon use.
The big publishers that produce the most AAA games (EA and Activision) want as much control over distribution as they have over the game content; and they will get it.
Speaking of game content, these same publishers are mimicking Apple making every aspect of the experience proprietary. You do not own the game, you are granted a license to play it and are subject to loosing the license if you violate the TOC like modding or sharing your experience with others (for example: all Activision-Blizzard games post 2003). If you want to play these AAA titles like Madden Football, WOW, Diablo, Call of Duty, Mass Effect, and whatever new franchise Bungie is making you will pay to play and check yes on the TOC.

Predictions:
I expect to see a backlash to these new consoles to spark an Indie revolution on PC full of self-published titles without DRM.
Microsoft and Sony will experience what Nintendo felt after releasing the N64. Both consoles will be as successful as the Sega Dreamcast.
I will predict that Steam will become the largest distributor of games; perhaps Valve should develop a console?
Serious gamers will be playing MMOs and Indie games on PC; casual gamers will be playing Angry Birds on their phone.
I will spend more time brewing than playing video games.

This is why I love CD Projekt Red (a privately owned developer). Not only are they opposed to DRM, they think DLC should be free (microsoft hates free DLC). They're not happy about the xbox one and announced the Witcher 3 for PC will be 100% DRM free on gog.com.

Looks like I found my new "console".
Especially if they can sell it cheaper than it would cost me to build one.

Just preordered my PS4. Great price point and I'm not at all deterred from joining PS plus to play some multiplayer games. Its a great service I've tried at times in the past.

I will play last of us and then sell my ps3 while I can and wait for the new console to arrive.

This is why I love CD Projekt Red (a privately owned developer). Not only are they opposed to DRM, they think DLC should be free (microsoft hates free DLC). They're not happy about the xbox one and announced the Witcher 3 for PC will be 100% DRM free on gog.com.

FYI, the Witcher franchise is on sale right now on Steam; you can buy both games for $10.

Already pre-ordered the Xbox One...am I happy about the kinnect always watching, nope. The kinnect I have now is unplugged just because the eye weirds me out and I'm sure I will disconnect the One when I have it turned off. I don't cry about DLC having costs, it takes a lot to put out a game and upgrade it (I know a lot of folks in the industry) and I certainly don't expect a company to do that free of charge...companies like Bungie only put one game out every so many years and it is silly to expect them to maintain that game and improve it with never collecting any more money, they education and experience to build those games isn't exactly common so those employees cost some good coin so I would take the plethora of games and the cost of DLC any day over the week over what we would get if there was some enforced system of free or heavily discounted DLC. Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting Destiny, Ghost, and my Xbox One.

YES! Those guys are awesome. Looking forward to everything they put out.

It'll be PS4 for me. Really not a fan of the direction Microsoft went in regarding used games/sharing etc.

Plus Kingdom Hearts 3.

Never used the app, but used to watch XPlay for updates. These days I mostly watch the Rev3 channel on YouTube, where Adam Sessler ended up, to get my news.

I was wondering what happened to him. Now we just need Morgan Webb back!

I wish I could get a PS4 with an xbox controller. I need to start researching how to build a gaming pc now. I'm still just so disappointed/angry with the new xbox.

Really looking forward to Watch Dogs even though it's not an exclusive, it looks cool. Also Drive Club and Destiny.

I was wondering what happened to him. Now we just need Morgan Webb back!

I wish I could get a PS4 with an xbox controller. I need to start researching how to build a gaming pc now. I'm still just so disappointed/angry with the new xbox.

They are changing the controller for the PS4. Personally, I'm just used to the Playstation controller. So, it feels fine to me.

The whole controller thing always baffled me. I played PS2 and then got an XBOX 360 and could barely work the thing at first. Same thing happened when I switched to the PS3 after I got the RROD. Just takes building muscle memory. One thing I'm glad they fixed on the PS4 controller is the thumb sticks, I constantly slip off the PS3 ones and had to buy special grips for them.

Remember the giant original xbox controllers? I think I'm the only one who misses those. I loved 'em.

Krovitz said:
Remember the giant original xbox controllers? I think I'm the only one who misses those. I loved 'em.

I chucked those at brother all the time. Never broke. Brick s%#*houses.

Yeah the gen 1 xbox had some serious controllers, I have broken a couple of the 360 ones because they are so cheaply made. But, the guerrilla hand ones were a little too large for my liking so I switched over to the smaller ones when they released those.

reminds me of this

215161632_vh4r5-l-2_20058.nphd.jpg

I would guess I'm 2/3 or the way through Last of Us, I haven't played a game this nerve racking in a while, swmbo cant be in the same room, she says its like watching a train wreck she cant look away.

I picked up Last of Us online the other day, should be here next monday, really looking forward to it, no spoilers till then pls! I read about the multiplayer being different because you get to for your own clan of ai people. Sounds like a blast, can't wait! Will probably be my last PS3 game, might sell the system in preparation for PS4.

Last of Us is absolutely fantastic, Haven't played a game that has me this tense/stressed out in a LONG time. True survival horror that reminds me of my first play throughs of Resident Evil 1/2.

I haven't finished it yet, but i seriously cannot say enough good things about it.

I'm still pi$sed at Nintendo releasing the wii u, PS and Xbox freaked out and rushed to production. I don't understand why there releasing these new consoles, is there some break through in tech I haven't heard about?

But Last of Us is my "genre" of game I grew up on Resident Evil and I'm happy:ban:

These consoles have effectively been around close to 8 years, which is historically speaking almost twice the length of a typical console's life.

This will actually help to 'create' new tech actually, as the PC/Gaming Industry has kinda been on hold for the last 2-3 years since this gen's consoles lives lasted a bit longer.

These consoles have effectively been around close to 8 years, which is historically speaking almost twice the length of a typical console's life.

This will actually help to 'create' new tech actually, as the PC/Gaming Industry has kinda been on hold for the last 2-3 years since this gen's consoles lives lasted a bit longer.

'create' new tech actually elaborate please?

Not one of the game developers pushed the limits of either console? 2016 was the intended release date for original PS4.

I doubt I will purchase one I'm think about building a gaming box this winter.

typically, PC rigs are what pushes gaming technology forward. When these consoles had a longer lifespan, the tech kinda stagnated.

since, a lot of developers will program for the consoles and typically port to PC. There's been no 'demand' for higher end gpu's, processors, etc.

So, these next gen consoles are going to be the closest graphically to what has been capable on PCs for awhile now, you'll see higher end gpu's being developed as PC will now push beyond what has been the standard for the past couple years.

Also, look at what Valve is doing with their steam box and the development of micro gpu's and processors that will be much smaller and powerful.

The consoles are so behind on tech; they have been at their limit for years.
They cannot render the same texture quality of a 6 year old PC. A good example of this is Skyrim or Fallout modded with HD texture packs; makes the console versions look their age.
Frame rates are dropping down on the consoles as the newer games push the limits of the current tech; games like Bioshock Infinite for example.
Many planned features on these AAA titles are scrapped due to them being expensive on computing resources on the competing consoles; this is what is holding the gaming industry back.
The new consoles are going to be about as powerful as my current gaming rig (which is 3 years old). They should have been released in 2010.
The next limitation on consoles will be the TV; few people will be convinced to upgrade just for an increase in gaming resolution.

Agree. My gaming PC is probably 2 to 3 years old in hardware. Totally kills any game I throw at it. That is the problem with the current developers porting to PC. But they are only as good as their weakest link. Last year had some good titles released, they just all looked dated to what they should have been. I'm glad to see some movement in the field. I hope the next wave of games lives up to where it should.

I refuse to play games on my computer, just seems weird. Its unjustified I know, but just something I never got into.

typically, PC rigs are what pushes gaming technology forward. When these consoles had a longer lifespan, the tech kinda stagnated.

since, a lot of developers will program for the consoles and typically port to PC. There's been no 'demand' for higher end gpu's, processors, etc.

So, these next gen consoles are going to be the closest graphically to what has been capable on PCs for awhile now, you'll see higher end gpu's being developed as PC will now push beyond what has been the standard for the past couple years.

Also, look at what Valve is doing with their steam box and the development of micro gpu's and processors that will be much smaller and powerful.

The consoles are so behind on tech; they have been at their limit for years.
They cannot render the same texture quality of a 6 year old PC. A good example of this is Skyrim or Fallout modded with HD texture packs; makes the console versions look their age.
Frame rates are dropping down on the consoles as the newer games push the limits of the current tech; games like Bioshock Infinite for example.
Many planned features on these AAA titles are scrapped due to them being expensive on computing resources on the competing consoles; this is what is holding the gaming industry back.
The new consoles are going to be about as powerful as my current gaming rig (which is 3 years old). They should have been released in 2010.
The next limitation on consoles will be the TV; few people will be convinced to upgrade just for an increase in gaming resolution.

Agree. My gaming PC is probably 2 to 3 years old in hardware. Totally kills any game I throw at it. That is the problem with the current developers porting to PC. But they are only as good as their weakest link. Last year had some good titles released, they just all looked dated to what they should have been. I'm glad to see some movement in the field. I hope the next wave of games lives up to where it should.

This is why I'm going to pc soon!

Just read an article, Gamestop has stopped taking pre orders for xbox one. I wonder why a store filled with used games would do that....

Back