Maximizing Esters While Minimizing Fusel Alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT-JeffT

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking for even more esters from my English yeasts. I am already fermenting at 73-73 and don't want to push the fermentation temp any higher. Everything that increases esters seems to also increase fusel alcohol. Is there a way to maximize ester production while minimizing fusel alcohol production? Thanks, Jeff

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the way is to start out low for the bulk of ferm then raise the temp slowly. That is how I do my sasions and it works great, although I cannot tell you if I get fusel production or not.

What strains do you use? Not all English yeasts give you the same ester profile - some are quite clean (relatively speaking - like wlp007) and others are quite fruity (like wlp023).

Pitch more yeast and aerate less. Ferment slightly cooler to reduce fusels.

Sorry but if i recall corectly fusel is required for ester production.

I also thought (without consulting the copy of "Yeast" that's on the bookshelf next to me) that decreasing pitching rate would increase esters, but not fusels. Increasing pitching rate would dramatically suppress esters. I might be recalling incorrectly.

Back