WBR: Starter Calculator showing cell growth over time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandBrew

Reaction score
How time effects cell growth is a factor that I have felt is missing in the existing calculators, which led me to create this starer calculator. I've collected data from dozens of experiments and factored it all down into this Excel calculator.

This calculator also lets you select which strain of yeast you are using. Right now it is limited to US-05 and S-04, but I plan to expand this as resources allow.

You will need to enable macros to use this calculator.

This is the Beta Release, so give it a try and let me know what you think!

http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2015/02/starter-calculator.html

Good work! This is really useful. Question about the strain selection: I realize growth will vary by strain, but how many strains do you expect to catalog? That just seems like a ton of work.

It's a nice spreadsheet. I never work in Plato, so having SG as an option on the graph would be nice, but I could do that myself. When I grow yeast I generally go by visual observation rather than a set time period, as yeast that has been stored for a long time tends to take up to 24-48 hours to really show signs of growth. However, the spreadsheet would be helpful for folks to get an estimate on how long it takes for cells to grow, especially if you end up putting a lot of different strains in there and they have fairly variable growth rates.

Nice work!

Thanks guys!

Question about the strain selection: I realize growth will vary by strain, but how many strains do you expect to catalog? That just seems like a ton of work.

The two strains that I have data on have very similar growth characteristics, so either can be used for a one size fits all estimation.
Yes, it will be a lot of work to characterize more strains. If there is sufficient backing it would be worth undertaking the effort. I've got some ideas on how to arrange that, but there are some other experiments on my plate now.

The lag time effects from storage conditions are not shown on the graph, but that is something I am characterizing. Typically I see an 18 hour lag from both refrigerate and from frozen yeast.

The lag time effects from storage conditions are not shown on the graph, but that is something I am characterizing. Typically I see an 18 hour lag from both refrigerate and from frozen yeast.

So for that lag time, I assume you bump the entire graph out 18 hours from what is currently generated?

Back