Water to grain ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aracer

Reaction score
Hello, how much water should I use to mashout a lager and how much for sparging?
I have read that 2.5 per kg for mash and 50% more as sparge water.

Thank you

You gotta know some things first. You doing 3 vessel brewing (HLT MLT BK?) or BIAB with rinse?

Grain absorbs about 1/2 quart per pound
What is your boil off rate? 1.25-1.5gal/hr is typical
What gets left in the mash tun?
What gets left in the boil kettle?
What do you want for volume into fermenter?

Water to use = FermenterVolumeDesired + BoilKettleLeftBehind + MashTunLeftBehind + BoiledOff + AbsorbedByGrain

Now split into what to mash and then the rest is sparge.

It totally depends on your equipment. If you can heat the mash you don't need any water for a mash out. If you do a batch sparge you don't need to do a mash out.

You also need to know your boil off rate. I need 7.25 gallons, pre-boil to end up with 5.25 gallons in my fermenter. I need to measure what I get from the mash then I know what I need with the sparge. I do batch sparging so I don't do a mash out.

Temperature of the mash also has an effect on how much water you need for a mash out. A 148 will need more boiling water to reach 170 degrees than would a mash at 154 degrees.

So there is no "answer"

For 5 gallon batches, I just use 5 gallons of strike water for the mash. Once I drain the mash tun, I see how much wort I got and add enough sparge water to get my pre-boil amount. So, If I'm shooting for 6.5 gallons pre-boil and I get 3.5 gallons of wort out of the mash (due to grain absorption), I just add 3 gallons of sparge water and drain. Voila!

Last edited:
I use 1.1 qt of strike water per pound of grain... then fly sparge until I hit my pre-boil volume ... which is just under 7 gallons ( for 5 gallon batch).

There is a reason I use this particular ratio...at the moment I only have a seven gallon kettle... I seem to get a more concentrated wort with the lower grist ratio and longer fly sparge. If I used a higher grist ratio... such as 1.25 or 1.5 qts/lb... then end up with to much wort (for my 7 gallon kettle) and poor efficiency.

This is just my current situation... if I had a 10 gallon or larger kettle it might be different...

I really need to get a larger kettle... haha !!!

Latest posts

Back