Water chemistry question - sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoH20

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with the Brewfather app, and recently had a water test done so I can start to make adjustments there. Brewfather splits the water additions into Mash and Sparge. I have a HERMS system, so my HLT usually has extra water in it to keep the HERMS coil submerged. So, I'm a little confused on how best to add the sparge additions - the ratio will be off with the amount of water in the HLT vs. how much sparge water I need. Adding them to the mash at sparge time seems like it's not the proper procedure (as wort is pulled from the bottom).

Thanks!!

Todd

If your HLT has enough capacity for both mash and sparge, combine the additions.
For example, in my system doing a 10 gallon batch, I use 20 gallons in the HLT. I actually use slightly less than that, but it makes for accurate salt additions for both mash and sparge.
Of course, any acid or soda needs to go to the mash only.

You can add sparge salts directly to the boil, rather than adding to the water before the sparge.

Both fantastic suggestions, neither of which I had thought of.

Thanks!!

It depends on your additions also. You never want to add baking soda or other alkalinity to the sparge water so if you need to increase the alkalinity of the boil, you'd do that in the boil kettle.
I sparge with RO water and most (if not all) of my salts and other additions go in the mash. But that's because it helps keep my pH in the right range by doing so.

Yeah, it's all Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom salt. The recipe is calling for most of the Calcium Chloride addition in the sparge water. So, maybe just combine the mash and sparge numbers and put it all in the mash?

Latest posts

Back