Water Calculator Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link and the calculator. I will give it a try when I get my system setup.

Very slick! Fun to play with.
How does it determine the ions for the full volume if you only enter the mash volume? Am I missing a sparge volume somewhere?

It's very much a personal preference, but your defaults seem to be really heavy on sulfate, and on salts in general. The starting point for a dortmunder I put in was 144 each for sulfate and Chloride, which seems like it would be waaay to minerally. I think building in the ratio of the two in the calculations leads to odd recommendations on styles that really don't need much/any sulfate.

It also seems to target 100ppm Calcium minimum, where in my understanding, 100ppm calcium is getting to the upper bounds of what you want.

Thanks for sharing!
:mug:

How does it determine the ions for the full volume if you only enter the mash volume? Am I missing a sparge volume somewhere?

It's very much a personal preference, but your defaults seem to be really heavy on sulfate, and on salts in general. The starting point for a dortmunder I put in was 144 each for sulfate and Chloride, which seems like it would be waaay to minerally. I think building in the ratio of the two in the calculations leads to odd recommendations on styles that really don't need much/any sulfate.

It also seems to target 100ppm Calcium minimum, where in my understanding, 100ppm calcium is getting to the upper bounds of what you want.

Thanks for sharing!
Dortmunders are very minerally beers. Suggested water profile is a minimum of 100 ppm Ca with an average around 125ppm. Also very high in sulfate. But everyone has there own preferences which is why I included the sliders. You can adjust the profiles as you wish and the calculator will keep all the ions balanced. I just updated the program to tend towards adding less minerals.

Thanks for sharing!
Forgot to answer your first question. Sparge volume additions can be done in programs like BeerSmith. I didn't want to duplicate the capability. If you put this water profile into BeerSmtih it will calculate that for you.

Thanks for sharing!
Sparge volume feature has been added. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back