Water amounts in HOPVILLE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to using brewing software. I just entered an old recipe into hopville, and am a bit confused as to how the water amounts work in the software.

I used a ton of hops in this recipe. So, I used a lot of extra water and grain to account for the absorption.

I brewed an 11 gallon batch (post boil amount, after absorption).

12 gallon mash
9 gallon sparge

I had to enter the recipe as a 14 gallon to get it in line with my target OG of 1.075. This isn't really correct.

Is there a way to enter the mash & sparge water volumes on hopville?

Or how do I adjust the pre & post boil water volumes?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1686360

I usually design my recipes on hopville as 6 gallon batches to account for kettle loss and trub. I end up with a little over 5. I use brew365 website to determine mash and sparge amounts. I used to design my recipes for 5 gallons and I would end up with less then 4.5 in the fermenter or be way off my gravity.

Yeah, I brew in two 6g carboys.

I leave a little bit of head space in em so I can aerate properly. Which is why I say my batches are roughly 11g total when all is said and done.

Latest posts

Back