Washed yeast went crazy, is still viable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead_brewer

Reaction score
Hi guys i have 2 mason jars with yeast in fridge one lager s-23 and wheat wb-06 i accidentaly left my brew fridge open by an inch overnight and didn't sealed properly today morning i went to take out some stuff from fridge and caugth my atention that the wheat yeast jar was too cloudy as it has 4 months there and beer on top was very clear, taking a closer look watched both jars had the cap inflated so i took them out and opened too slowly and they released a little bit of co2, but suddenly the wheat yeast started activity like crazy moving to the top of beer, i saw big chunks of yeast and trub going up real fast!! This happened in about 5 minutes and now has stoped leaving a creamy and yeasty liquid in the mason, i opened the lid a bit to smell it and it has a zesty nice yeasty smell, the lager yeast mason showed no activity at all and it only has like 2 months old in fridge, what do you think? should i worry and throw away both masons? or everything is ok and just the change in temperature made the yeast wake up like crazy and everything just will be fine? I was planing on use both yeast in the next two brews so i maybe i have to consider buy a packet of fresh yeast?.
I'll put some pictures and thanks in advance :rock:
View media item 69426View media item 69425View media item 69424

Your wheat beer yeast had some CO2 which pressurized the container. When you released the pressure, the CO2 came out of suspension and that caused the yeast to be stirred up. I leave the lid loose on my collected yeast so it can vent the CO2.

The wb06 yeast has the diastaticus gene so it was slowly chewing away at the large chain sugars making CO2. I would make another beer with that,it sounds like it wants to make beer. When I bring my wit yeast out to make a starter I decant it rite away other wise it starts making multiple little volcanoes and gets cloudy.

Latest posts

Back