Warm Fermented Saison with w/ Safbrew t-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanop

Reaction score
So I had this buried in another thread but figured that others might benefit from my experiences with Fermentis Safbrew T-58 yeast. I hadn't intended to brew this recipe with it but my starter seemed ineffective and since I had some in my fridge and really wanted to get thru the vigorous fermentation before I leave town for the weekend, I pitched it.

The recipe (as brewed):

Name: Saison Fuerte
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.016 (hopefully lower...)
ABV: 5.5%
SRM: 6 (likely darker due to starter)
IBU: 40.9
Boiling Time: 75 mins
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons
Boil Volume: 3 gallons
Yeast:
- 500mL of 1L starter from dregs of Jack D'or and Ommegang Hennepin (failed to start at 50h+ after pitch but still may impart some flavor)
- 1 packet Fermentis Safbrew T-58 (pitched 50+ hours after the above starter)

_Fermentables:
4lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup (46%, 36PPG)
2lbs Northern Brewer Wheat Malt Syrup (23%, 36PPG)
1lb 4oz Belg. Pilsner Malt (14%, 34PPG)
10oz Table Suar (7%, 46PPG)
6oz Turbinado Sugar (4%, 44PPG)
5oz Belgian Biscuit Malt (4%, 35PPG)
2oz Oats (1%, 34PPG)
1oz Gambrinous Honey Malt (1%, 28PPG)

Minimash in 2.5qt water at 148F for 1.5hour, then 155for 15mins

_Hops:
First Wort (75+ mins): 1.125oz Chinook (13% AA)*
30 mins: 0.25oz Mt. Hood (5.5% AA)
20 mins: 0.25oz Mt. Hood (5.5% AA)
15 mins: 0.25oz Mt. Hood (5.5% AA)
15 mins: 0.25oz French Strisserspalt (2.9% AA)
10 mins: 0.25oz Cascade (7.0% AA)
05 mins: 0.50oz French Strisserspalt (2.9% AA)
01 mins: 0.25oz Mt. Hood (5.5% AA)
01 mins: 0.25oz French Strisserspalt (2.9% AA)
01 mins: 0.25oz Cascade (7.0% AA)
01 mins: 0.25oz Centennial (8.9% AA)

Note:
It took close to 30mins to bring the water to a boil so the Chinook were in for 30mins pre-boil + 75mins of boil.

---

So, I cold crashed my starter (made from the dregs of Jack D'or and Hennepin) for a day in the fridge, decanted the top 500mL, warmed to close to room temp and pitched into the 5gals of 76deg wort and shook vigorously for 5mins. I rearated a few times over the next 30hours. At 50+ hours after pitch, there was no activity.

Worried that the starter was ineffective (dormant, dead or too small), I reaerated and pitched the packet T58 (marked with an expiration date of 1/2012).
2 hours after pitch: fermentation had begun (76 deg)
4 hours: there was a lot of movement in the wort. (78 deg)
12 hours: a nice 1" krausen had formed, airlock is bubbling 2 per second! (80deg)

I think going to ride this out without controlling the temperature. Ambient right now is ~ 75deg and expected to drop tonight.

I'll report back in this thread with updates on fermentation/bottling/tasting. I've read mixed reports of using t58 in a warm ferment, so I'm interested to see what my results are.

17 hours: still about 2 bubbles per second. Carboy temp was about 84 degrees. I've wrapped a soaking wet cotton shirt around it and have a fan blowing at it. Ambient temp is 78deg.

thats unfortunate to hear that your dreg starter potentially didnt work out. did the starter show any life? what size did you start it out at? I know the Jack dregs work cuz I just made a saison with them myself

good luck with the T-58, I'm interested to hear how it turns out

I started w/ like 100mL of cold-crashed bottle dregs in 250mL of 1.030 wort. I kept shaking it and it looked like I had significant yeast growth (but no visible activity). 2 days later I stepped up by adding ~700mL of 1.035 wort. Cold crashed in fridge for 2-days and found between 0.5 and 1.0cm of compacted sediment at the bottom of my 1L flask. I decanted 1/2 the liquid (leaving about 450mL in the flask), then shook the flask to resuspend the yeast and allowed it to come to room temp. Pitched it into 5 gallons of 76deg wort, waited about 50 hours and saw no activity at all. Maybe I should have waited longer but I was nervous and decided to pitch the T58...

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you though-- that makes me want to try again.

weird, thats more or less what I did, except I didn't decant anything. Mine started within 24 hours and I got great attenuation out of it too (~90%), so its definitely worth another shot if you want to do it. I just put in the keg a few days ago tho so I don't really have a grasp on how good it tastes yet, plus the falconers flight hops kinda dominated the sample I had.

I'll definitely try again then! In the meantime, I get to try the t-58. I was originally planning on using it on a less 'complex' recipe but, oh well, nothing like giving it a true trial by fire....

Unless I'm way off bases here I believe Jack D'Or is brewed using a mixture of yeast, one of which is T-58. So if anything you have the same blend, just with different concentrations?

Guess42, you're probably right. But given the rapid start to fermentation within hours of pitching the T58, I'm probably 98% T58.

48 hours after pitch of the t58 and bubbling has slowed to once every 2-3 seconds. Carboy temp is 76degrees (though the ambient temp has also dropped to about 72). Krausen has begun to shrink a bit and activity in the wort has decreased. The puffs from airlock smell awesome - a very floral/citrus hop aroma with belgian undertones. I'm hoping for the best.

I moved this to secondary today as I won't be able to bottle till after Halloween. It was in the primary for 21 days (though only 18 was w/ the T-58 - three were with the presumed-dead starter).

Anyways... I took a gravity reading: 1.013 @ 72deg which translates to ~1.014 (from an OG of 10.58). Not too shabby! It might get another point or two lower as it sits in the secondary for a few weeks.

I took a taste and, even drinking it at 72 degrees, I couldn't detect any fusels .... even though I fermented warm (it hit at least 80 degrees on the sticker-thermometer and I'd bet it was a few degrees warmer in the center of the carboy).

Boy, I can't wait to taste this thing cold!

How did this turn out? I pitched t-58 for the first time this weekend on a saison type brew with buddha's hand zest. I'm hoping the fruitiness of the yeast compliments the citrus of the zest...

Latest posts

Back