Wanting to drill a Tall boy kettle for a a ball valve, but i have questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFBrewhouse

Reaction score
So for drilling a hole into the kettle, will this bit work with a 1/4" pilot hole already drilled?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I416Q90/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I was told it i needed this size of drill bit for the ball valves.

I would also like suggestions on a good ball valve and thermometer combo for this. This is going to be part of my indoor brewing setup on the stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer a hole punch or a step bit for the larger holes but that should work for you.

As for valves and thermometers look at brewers hardware or brewhardware. Both should have a few weldless bulk head kits

What Dcpcooks said. ^^^^

If this is a boil kettle, I'd recommend not adding an installed thermometer. The heat is rough on the dial end, especially with a gas stove or burner. The stem in the kettle gets in the way, and it really doesn't give you any useful information. It boils when it boils, regardless of the thermometer reading. Spend that money on a good long-stem digital thermometer, it will be far more useful.

I remember when I first started brewing and acquired my first Keggle. I went crazy getting weldless bulk head fittings for it. Besides a 3 piece ball valve, I got a sight glass and thermometer kit from BargainFittings....which at the time I thought the 3" dial thermometer looked pretty cool....but boil is usually right around 212 and I don't need a dial in the kettle to let me know what the temp is for that. However, it was handy when chilling with my immersion chiller.

I would probably go with a step bit over that carbide bit. More versatile and that carbide bit is overkill. You can get a three pack of step bits at harbor freight for less than $10 I’ve used the three I have for a few years now with no issues. You’ll want your hole to be very close to the outside diameter of your threaded coupler that will go through the keg wall. I did all weldless on my kettles and they’ve been good for about 4 years, I am starting to notice a little drop of a leak here or there nowadays. I’m getting ready to switch over all the fittings to tig welded tri-clover fittings.

I would suggest a step bit and some 3 in 1 oil or something as you go. Also as you make progress drilling through, put the drill in the kettle and work out the burrs.

I recently drilled a hole in my kettle for a whirlpool. On the last step I changed directions. Using a step bit all steps were drilled from outside in except the last. I went from inside out on the last step.

Back