Voss starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
made my starter last night. Added my pack of Voss at 730p. Woke up this morning to a mess.
This is the second time in the last two weeks that the foaming and yeast have exceeded my flask.Friday? Are most using less water? Just trying to figure out the issue to prevent from happening again.
I had about 1700ml of water and added defoamer.
There was alot of yeast i had to clean up. Think I will have sufficient yeast to harvest and use on friday?

Attachments

• 20200414_054245.jpg
    20200414_054245.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
I thought most people using Voss used a teaspoon, not a starter, in order to encourage the esters.

Generally I have way more headspace in my starter than your photo. I use a gallon jug, and typically make a 1.5-1.75 liter starter, and will STILL sometimes get over foaming out the top (I'm looking at you WY1007).

First time using Voss. When I make my initial starter I use the entire pack then harvest two 50 ml vials. I then cold crash, decant and pitch. Its happened before with 1318 and once with Hornindal.
Guess I'll have to cut back to 1200 ml and work from there.

I re-pitch Voss a lot, so, I do make starters. Store the majority and pitch the minimum. I have resorted to using a #10 stopper with a blow off tube in starsan. You will probably have to duct tape the stopper to the flask. Don't ask me how I know that.

Cheers

Back