Voss Kveik pitch to pour time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
Has anybody ever experimented with the fermentation speed of Voss Kveik? I’ve read about it finishing both primary and secondary fermentation within a few days, but I’ve never bottled anything I’ve ever brewed with it before 3 weeks.

I know, temperatures pending, it will blitz through wort within 24-36 hours, but I’m also curious as to how fast it will finish up after that. Just wondering if anybody has tried packaging any VK brews within a week or so and how it worked out.

I'm still tuning my process, but pretty much all of my ales go from grain to glass in about a week. I've done kveik in 5 days grain to glass I think, but I wasn't particularly rushed, and that was a sour.

Been re-pitching Voss for a while. For me, ales with no dry hopping is about 4-5 days (2-3 days fermentation, 1 day cold crash, 1 day burst carbonating). You can start drinking, but, I have found you need a little time in the keg for it to settle in. Drinking a Bell's Light Hearted clone and it took about 4-5 days in the keg to really let the cascade and centennial to come through. That one was dry hopped for 2 days. Got Brulosopher's Tiny Bottom Pale Ale in the fermenter. Will keg this up on day 3. Settles in after about 5 days in the keg. I never use a secondary, regardless of the yeast. For me, there is no need. I don't bottle anymore, unless with the beer gun. If you bottle, you will still need to let bottle condition for length of time you normally do.

Attachments

• Tiny Bottom Pale Ale.JPG
    Tiny Bottom Pale Ale.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 50
After 2 years i landed on the following, which seems optimal to me:
Pitch at 38 to 40 celcius and insulate well with woolen jumper, blanket etc .in a 26 degree room , 60 hours later its still sitting at 32 ( voss creates about 4 degrees of its own)

Let this rip for 3 days then take the insulation off and let it cool overnight . You dont want to be dry hopping too hot

On day 4, dry hop ( i think 50g simcoe 50g centennial is good) and let that ride for 4 days

Prime and bottle on day 8. It carbs up in about 4 days but 7 days in bottle and overnight in fridge is best
20201231_210637.jpg

I've done a few NEIPA's with the dried Voss lately and I've had them in a glass in 7 days. Typically, brew on Sunday - drink on Saturday or Sunday. I did an ESB this way and had diacetyl for about a week or so... turned into a drain pour the flavor was so horrible. The IPA's fermented at 80F, the ESB at 75F. Don't know if temp had anything to do with the off-flavor. I dry hop at day 2 while it's still going strong to take advantage of any bio-transformation. The next IPA I'll keep in the primary for 2 weeks (my usual timeframe for regular yeast) before cold crashing to see if it makes any difference at all.

A non-event with a twang mainly then. Rock on kveik!

Last edited:
80 should actually be better with kveik than 75
Actually i wouldn't rock a kveik below 85 ( 30 celcius)
Dont try and let them sit in FV on all that yeastcake for 2 weeks like regular yeast , they sour . No matter how i sanitize they sour after that amount of time if you don't bottle/kkeg

Unless you dry hop for a neipa style, 3 weeks. No way it's done before it. At 35 C, hit fg within 4 days, but still too acid for drink.
I've made an IPA, and tasted a lot better at bottling.

I've made a few NEIPAs with Voss Kveik. Brew Friday night. Ferment at 98F. Bubbling within 2 hours and at FG by Sunday. Cold crash on Monday for 2-3 days. Keg on Thursday. Drinking on Friday. Doesn't get any better than that.

I've made a few NEIPAs with Voss Kveik. Brew Friday night. Ferment at 98F. Bubbling within 2 hours and at FG by Sunday. Cold crash on Monday for 2-3 days. Keg on Thursday. Drinking on Friday. Doesn't get any better than that.
Exactly, NEIPAs.
They rely on essential oils that fade or oxidazes with time and should be drinking as soon as possible.
But they aren't the only style of beer, besides some brewers advocate.

I don't understand the rush.

I mean I perfectly understand it, as I'm also doing it myself sometimes because of impatience and stupidity, but at the end every beer I brewed (no neipas) was best earliest 4-5 weeks after fermentation started, including bottle conditioning etc. I always start drinking them before and I always regret it because the beers are so much better after giving some time. Also apas, iPas etc. Get better after a few weeks. If you loose much hop flavour during that short time, you need to fix that first somewhere else.

I don't understand the rush.

I mean I perfectly understand it, as I'm also doing it myself sometimes because of impatience and stupidity, but at the end every beer I brewed (no neipas) was best earliest 4-5 weeks after fermentation started, including bottle conditioning etc. I always start drinking them before and I always regret it because the beers are so much better after giving some time. Also apas, iPas etc. Get better after a few weeks. If you loose much hop flavour during that short time, you need to fix that first somewhere else.

My experience has been that Voss seems to do something to the hops and my brews with Voss are less hoppy than those without.

I've also learned that anything with Voss changes a lot in taste over 2 or 3 weeks after kegging.

Just my experience...

I found that a batch of Voss with Galaxy hops came out remarkably like a Schofferhoffer grapefruit ale. The yeast chewed thru the sugars in 3 days, and I let it sit another 10 in the fermenter.

Has anybody ever experimented with the fermentation speed of Voss Kveik? I’ve read about it finishing both primary and secondary fermentation within a few days, but I’ve never bottled anything I’ve ever brewed with it before 3 weeks.

I know, temperatures pending, it will blitz through wort within 24-36 hours, but I’m also curious as to how fast it will finish up after that. Just wondering if anybody has tried packaging any VK brews within a week or so and how it worked out.
I use kveik Voss all summer as it is very hot in qld day 1 put it down day 3 I dry hop and day 5 I bottle and have no problems it always turns out great (Gaz.)

Back