And how are you prepared for the coming Zombie Apocalypse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
<insert maniacal laughter here> I'd like to say I'm drunk but this came to me while sober, and reading another user's post about 'prepping' with mead.

Plus my brother in law asked me a similar question a while back as a 'conversation about nothing' starter during a car ride. It was an interesting 'though exercise' regarding what you could do with the resources in have in your basement alone.

Anyways, so if you have no additional productive capacity and could not BUY anything, what could you do with what you have on hand to survive? I'm thinking I could distill rain water if needed with glass carboys and some hose. I could probably figure out some form of solar cooker (eventually), but that probably wouldn't work in Canada for most of the time. And eventually I'd need to head to a nearby lake for water and whatnot.

Yeah, I'd probably end up being food for some other guy (zombie or otherwise). Think you'd do better? What would you do?

As part of this, let's simplify and assume you don't need to worry about shooting your neighbors for home protection. I wanna know what you could BUILD with the junk lying around. (potato guns are cool though if homemade)

Well between my stockpile of ammunition, 3 machetes, 2 axes, several blow torches I could fend off the zombies for at least several years, especially since I'd likely be able to scavenge plenty of weapons of those who didn't make it on my daily scouting missions to town.

I would fort up at my in-law's 500 acre beef farm. They have a very deep ravine stream that separates their house from the road, so building a gate on the bridge to prevent survivors from attempting to raid the farm of beef cows would be the first step.

As for zombies....can you really think of a better zombie killer than a combine harvester?
07_37_20_web.jpg

The old saying "Country folks will survive" was talking about the zombie apocalypse. We all know the city people are the first to go.

we have a couple days' worth of water and food, plus beer

any longer than that and we're pretty much effed

I was watching a show about an actual report about coronal mass ejections. Basically the sun knocking out the power grid for several years, and without power, the fuel in your tank is all you have. It also said that 1/3 to half of city folk would bite it. But that also implies that you'd have a fair number of them walking out of the city.

I was watching a show about an actual report about coronal mass ejections. Basically the sun knocking out the power grid for several years, and without power, the fuel in your tank is all you have. It also said that 1/3 to half of city folk would bite it. But that also implies that you'd have a fair number of them walking out of the city.

Like I said, city people are the first to go and those that get desperate and try to steal from country people would end up becoming target practice and fed to the dogs.

Yup, you city people are pretty much phucked. If your neighbors all become zombies it's pretty hard to sneak out of your condo complex undetected. Now...city people who homebrew will probably live longer because you can always barter homebrew for food and weapons!

Obviously those city people who have utilized their 2nd amendment rights would stand a far better chance of survival than the anti-weapon activist who would be the first to have his face eaten off. . .

I love zombies. I think they're misunderstood. I will start a zombie counseling center and get them set back on the right course. It's never too late to turn a new leaf...

I love zombies. I think they're misunderstood. I will start a zombie counseling center and get them set back on the right course. It's never too late to turn a new leaf...

Perhaps you misunderstand zombies? They have no mind to counsel, they only have basic carnivore survival instincts; FEED ON WARM FLESH! That is pretty much their only purpose, well that and they make great moving targets for all types of sporting purposes. :rockin:

I was watching a show about an actual report about coronal mass ejections. Basically the sun knocking out the power grid for several years, and without power, the fuel in your tank is all you have.

I hate to wreck your day, but the gas in your tank won't do much good if there is a Carrington event (either natural or man made). Since the event would fry all unprotected electronics, it would wipe out the starter motor and computer of your car. We'd all be doing summer ales and winter loggers, except for the southern hemisphere, which would be doing winter lagers and summer ales.

Back to the OP's quesiton? I've got a little bit of beer and I can make boiled water. I like most of America have only about 2 or 3 days worth of food on hand.

More importantly, if you're drunk on homebrew and get bitten by a zombie and die quickly, will your zombie also be drunk? I mean, you're dead, so your liver would stop filtering out the alcohol.

Taking this question to it's logical conclusion . . . is this a reasonable way to solve the ever constant pipeline problem?

Obviously those city people who have utilized their 2nd amendment rights would stand a far better chance of survival than the anti-weapon activist who would be the first to have his face eaten off. . .

Aw come on man, that's amateur hour. Read up on your Max Brooks. I don't care how far out in the country you are, you start firing off rounds, you're alerting every shambler within a few miles of your presence. What you need is a good sharp machete and a crossbow with lots of arrows.

Taking this question to it's logical conclusion . . . is this a reasonable way to solve the ever constant pipeline problem?

Eating drunk peoeple? I dunno man. I think I would get way too full before I ever got drunk.:)

Okay. I'll take city side.

Lots of grocery stores. Sure, there will be lots of gathering from them. In this scenario, it's not looting. I mean, full on zombie apocalypse, I doubt the checkout girl will make it to work. Speaking of, how much gathering will depend on how many succumb to the virus and how quickly. That could be lots of packaged and preserved food. We'll have to fight zombies for it, but canned food doesn't run and hide like a deer. And it doesn't spoil like fresh caught perch.

Oh, and who says the virus doesn't affect animals? People are animals. In some zombie tales, animals do get infected. Good luck eating zombie squirrels.

Drug stores too. Gonna need more meds than chewing on willow bark and drinking mugwort tea.

Hardware stores. We can build all sorts of stuff out of those stores full of building supplies.

Buildings. Sure, we'll have to clear them out, but cities have some stout fortresses ready built.

Guns and weapons. Guns and weapons everywhere. Hell, my neighborhood is an arsenal.

People. This can be as bad as good, but there is a strength in numbers, ask the zombies. Some of us will be soldiers. Some will be builders. Maintainers. Cooks. Medical. Look outs. Just around me is a diesel mech, an IT guy, an electrician, a plumber; and the list goes on. Cities are full of skilled people.

Utilities. Some of us who survive will know how to run the power and water plants.

Pets. Here where it gets dark. If the animals aren't infected, cities are full of pets that will come right up to us, like having food delivered. Country boy expends his energy to hunt. City boy says, here kitty kitty.

People, again. Don't think for a second I won't eat a fresh uninfected dead person. If I have to kill someone to stop them from killing me, soups on. Hey, why waste the meat?

are y'all floccing kidding me? I'm Billy the floccing Klubb! hells bells, son. my 5 y/o is well enough stocked against the zombies. we got axes, chainsaws, rifles, baseball bats, Belgian Strong, Trippel, Dubbel, Saison, and a cat that turns his nose up to fish.

we got axes, chainsaws, rifles, baseball bats, Belgian Strong, Trippel, Dubbel, Saison, and a cat that turns his nose up to fish.

Nice.

"Check it out. Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball breakers. We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...."

Okay. I'll take city side.

Lots of grocery stores. Sure, there will be lots of gathering from them. In this scenario, it's not looting. I mean, full on zombie apocalypse, I doubt the checkout girl will make it to work. Speaking of, how much gathering will depend on how many succumb to the virus and how quickly. That could be lots of packaged and preserved food. We'll have to fight zombies for it, but canned food doesn't run and hide like a deer. And it doesn't spoil like fresh caught perch.

Oh, and who says the virus doesn't affect animals? People are animals. In some zombie tales, animals do get infected. Good luck eating zombie squirrels.

Drug stores too. Gonna need more meds than chewing on willow bark and drinking mugwort tea.

Hardware stores. We can build all sorts of stuff out of those stores full of building supplies.

Buildings. Sure, we'll have to clear them out, but cities have some stout fortresses ready built.

Guns and weapons. Guns and weapons everywhere. Hell, my neighborhood is an arsenal.

People. This can be as bad as good, but there is a strength in numbers, ask the zombies. Some of us will be soldiers. Some will be builders. Maintainers. Cooks. Medical. Look outs. Just around me is a diesel mech, an IT guy, an electrician, a plumber; and the list goes on. Cities are full of skilled people.

Utilities. Some of us who survive will know how to run the power and water plants.

Pets. Here where it gets dark. If the animals aren't infected, cities are full of pets that will come right up to us, like having food delivered. Country boy expends his energy to hunt. City boy says, here kitty kitty.

People, again. Don't think for a second I won't eat a fresh uninfected dead person. If I have to kill someone to stop them from killing me, soups on. Hey, why waste the meat?

While it sounds good in theory, in every zombie movie there is always only a handful of survivors left from an entire city population and the last thing those survivors are thinking about doing is running the utilities or joining the military resistance. In a full on Zombie apocalypse it will be every man for himself, you will have no power or street lights in the cities. If you walk into the streets you are dead.

In the country we won't have to hunt. We will just pick off survivors who are attempting to raid our food supplies and use them for additional soup making! :D

OK. Devil's advocate.

(I live in the country)

There is a lot more food and supplies in a city. Yes there will be more zombies, but keep your door locked for a week, live off of what you have, and you probably have a short walk to supplies.

Out in the country you will quickly use your gas to reach the same Kroger (or whatever) that 500 other armed farmers are heading towards, and with a zombie outbreak afoot, don't count on country hospitality. You will likely be shot if you approach someone.

OK. Devil's advocate.

(I live in the country)

There is a lot more food and supplies in a city. Yes there will be more zombies, but keep your door locked for a week, live off of what you have, and you probably have a short walk to supplies.

Out in the country you will quickly use your gas to reach the same Kroger (or whatever) that 500 other armed farmers are heading towards, and with a zombie outbreak afoot, don't count on country hospitality. You will likely be shot if you approach someone.

While I agree there will be more food in the cities initially, all the perishables will be useless within just a few days without power (unless it's winter), leaving you with canned and processed foods to fight off the other survivors for...once that runs out...everyone dies. Zombies will stay near the grocery stores because they will learn that that is where the warm fleshy meals go. :D

When the apocalypse happens only people who can grow their own food will survive. Fuel supplies will only run autos and machines for a few years before the fuel goes bad and then it will be back to travel by horse/mule or on foot.

We will just pick off survivors who are attempting to raid our food supplies and use them for additional soup making! :D

Um.. nice idea, but prirons can be a *****... Basically there are reason why canabalism is bad, and they are just the whole "don't kill/murder" idea. There are some biological reasons why you should stick with non human meat.

Now eventually some farming will be needed (city or country) and I'd imagine that human remains make as good a compost as any other.

Um.. nice idea, but prirons can be a *****... Basically there are reason why canabalism is bad

That's really only gonna be a problem if you're eating neural tissue. I'll take a wing and a thigh.

Hmmmm...zombies eat brains. I wonder: If you hole up long enough, will the zombies all eventually contract CJD? I suppose it can't kill them since they're already dead. So you'd have zombies running around with human mad cow disease. Sh*t. Double whammy, man. I smell a Sci Fi Original Movie....

Now eventually some farming will be needed (city or country) and I'd imagine that human remains make as good a compost as any other.

So what about dead zombies? Same fertilizer content as human remains? I'm thinking of how well our hops would grow using shredded zombie as fertilizer. . .:cool:

I'm poorly stocked now, but I have 2 plans.

First I'd go to the nearest dicks/modell's whatever. Why? Camping supplies, baseball bats, clothes, hockeysticks and if no one else got there bows and firearms. The firearms part is less important for me. I care more about bats, lots of them. I have some of my own but I don't have any aluminum ones and my wooden bats will eventually break.

After that I'd go to Home Depot/Lowes to get axes and things of that nature. Also would get as much wood as possible

Various weapons, canned foods and a water source really is the best chance of survival for most people.

We brewers have an distinct advantage. Zombies love spent GRRRRAAAAAAAAAIIIINNNNNS

Heck, zombies may even enjoy a good homebrew! :mug:

Have you ever seen anyone offer a zombie a beer in a zombie flick? No, they just run away! What if we offered the zombie a beer?

Eating only people may not work out, but I'm sure it's okay to get by in a pinch. People have done it before.

Food grows in cities too. I've a little patch myself. Once we're talking survival, damn the hydrangeas. We can farm every front yard, backyard and vacant lot. Every golf course and city park.

Spent grains after a day or two start smelling like death. How would you know if it was your spent grain pile or a zombie shuffling at you when you get that smell of rot? Maybe the smell will keep them away.

Just think what we would be capable of if we spent as much time thinking/solving real world problems as we do imaginary (zombies) or low-probability (coroneal flares, SHTF scenarios, etc.). :)

&#9835;&#9834; I'd like to teach the world to sing &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; In perfect harmony &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; I'd like to hold it in my arms &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; And keep it company &#9835;&#9834;

&#9835;&#9834; I'd like to see the world for once &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; All standing hand in hand &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; And hear them echo through the hills &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; For peace throughout the land &#9835;&#9834;

Kum-bah-yah is next!

&#9835;&#9834; I'd like to teach people to fend off zombies &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; Knock them in the head &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; I'd like chop them into pieces &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; That's what I effing said &#9835;&#9834;

&#9835;&#9834; I'd like to see the world for once &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; All fragging walking dead &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; And hear shots echo through the hills &#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; For peace throughout the land &#9835;&#9834;

&#9835;&#9834; There ain't no thing as zombies&#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; but just a reason for rednecks to stockpile guns&#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; you need to stop reading so many comic books&#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; and try go talking to some girls&#9835;&#9834;

:)

&#9835;&#9834; but just a reason for rednecks to stockpile guns&#9835;&#9834;
&#9835;&#9834; you need to stop reading so many comic books&#9835;&#9834;

Giiiiirrrrlllllsssss

zombie-walks-2011-zombie-girl-11.jpg

&#9835;&#9834; but just a reason for rednecks to stockpile guns&#9835;&#9834;&#9835;&#9834; you need to stop reading so many comic books&#9835;&#9834;

Zombies and Aliens.

Giiiiirrrrlllllsssss

Yeah, I guess there are girls at comic conventions....

Seriously. I don't want to know about your big gun pile or your machetes. I was hoping to hear about how you would actually use your head to survive with what you have on hand if there was no infrastructure. Like that character in 21 days later. Some guy in a 20th floor apartment figured out how to get drinking water and farm some food on the roof in a city, and I believe used wine (or something) to build basic batteries so the radio would work. Stuff like that. The stuff DIY people brag about.

Mind you I appreciate the Zombie jokes too...

The problem with theoretical McGyver crap is that you don't know where you will be or what you will be left with until it happens.

I bet you $50 that the best prepared paranoid fruitloop with a concrete bunker and 20 years worth of water, solar generator, etc. will be at Wal mart when the outbreak occurs and will die immediately or be trapped in the cieling at wal mart with 2 other shoppers and a wal mart employee.

i would make a nuclear reactor from just a soda can, a paper clip, a potato and some chewing gum

and I left a key component out of the list, for security reasons

Back