Outlaw Josey Wales--"Fresh brewed Choc"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIHarwood

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some information (or a recipe, ideally) on choc beer, like in the Outlaw Josey Wales. My dad's a big fan of westerns and was hoping I could figure out how to make it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I know it's been over three years. Maybe you found an answer and maybe you didn't. I've been working on a documentary about Choc Beer and can send some info your way if you'd like. I just stumbled across a video some guy posted to YouTube that could help you get started. It's incomplete and there doesn't appear to be a part 2, but it'll help you see how easy it is. There's several families that still make their grandparent's recipes in Krebs, OK.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIiizNoH4zo[/ame]

I have nothing to do with that video...just getting you started. I have a recipe at home that I can type out here if anyone is interested. It was handed to me by one of the families that still make it down there. Let me know.

OklahomaGreg
If your still out there, please post the family recipe you have. I can't believe there is not more interest in this old miners brew. I'm from area and have drank the real choc beer, it's not anything like what Pete's place puts out now. Sure hope you post it, I've been looking for authentic recipe for years. Regards

I then scaled the 4.5 gallon recipe to 5 gallons in BS2. This is what I wound up with;
*****Choc-Choctaw Indian Beer*****************************
*5 gallons, partial mash, partial boil biab*
3lbs, 14.2ozs) 2-row (Briess)
3lbs, 3.2ozs) Wheat Malt, (Munton's)
12.4ozs) Flaked corn
2lbs) Peach puree
1.17ozs) EKG @ 60 minutes
.58oz) Cascade @ 15 minutes
1packet) Fermentis US-05 (I rehydrate)
Est OG-1.042
Est FG-1.010
IBU-26.7
Color-3.2SRM
Est ABV-4.2%
Single infusion, medium body, batch sparge
Ale,. single stage

Mash crushed grains @ 152F one hour in 2 1/2 gallons water. Sparge with 1 1/2 gallons 168F water 10 minutes. Proceed to boil, adding hops at listed times. Add peach puree about 5 minutes left in boil to sanitize. Original recipe says to add puree to primary for or @ 7 days. Seems like the end of the boil would be safer? I've strained watermelon puree before & still got thick juice after removing some solids. I'll likely do that again? Proceed as usual with hydrometer test & pitching yeast.

Latest posts

Back