Water for pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinfool86

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what brewing salts to add to my water to create a good profile for a pale ale with an SRM of 9.
If you could take a look at the water I have to work with and let me know what you think I should do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 67
Mg: 27
Na: 41
Cl: 41
SO4: 159
HCO3: 172

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 5 / 4
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 11.6

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 67 / 67
Mg: 27 / 27
Na: 41 / 41
Cl: 41 / 41
SO4: 159 / 159
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.26 / 0.26

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 141
RA: 77
Estimated pH: 5.67
(room temp)

I was thinking of adding some chalk, about 13 grams for 9 gals

Thanks alot

No, no chalk! I'm no water expert, but there are several issues with chalk. One is that your pH is likely to be too high, not too low, and chalk raises pH. the other is that chalk doesn't dissolve properly anyway without extraneous measures.

You want a room temperature pH of 5.3-5.5 or so.

Yooper said:
No, no chalk! I'm no water expert, but there are several issues with chalk. One is that your pH is likely to be too high, not too low, and chalk raises pH. the other is that chalk doesn't dissolve properly anyway without extraneous measures.

You want a room temperature pH of 5.3-5.5 or so.

Yea you are a water expert yoop!

Personally, I would use RO water and harden it slightly (50-60 Ca), keeping the alkalinity very low and the Cl:SO4 balanced. A pale ale grain bill should give you a pH of about 5.5 assuming you keep alkalinity way down.

Back