Chefs and homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
i have been a chef for almost 15 years now and have noticed that on our days off we still cant stay out of the kitchen, but i have meet a few other chefs that homebrew, I'm wondering if you guys have come up with any interesting brews using some of the flavors you work with in the kitchen, i just harvested a lot of my herb garden and thinking about trying maybe a herbed beer.

You might enjoy reading Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher, lots of ideas about using different flavors in your beers. For herb beers, what I've usually done is make a tincture by soaking the herbs in a mason jar of vodka. Then add the tincture to taste when I'm bottling or kegging.

Besides adding dried fruit, fresh bananas, and spices, nothing too crazy I've added. Rosemary and sage are in some of my future brews.

I am no chef, want to be. I cook at a restaurant and have cooked at home for quite a bit. It's time that I step up and become a chef though. I have the passion and desire. Oh and of course I homebrew so I'm subscribing to the thread to see where it goes. :mug:

The former brewer at the Goose Island brew pub was very much into using local produce in his beers. He had a culinary background (per se, namely) and would go to the green city market every week to find something interesting. Green strawberries, currants, Cherokee mint, you name it. Most fruits ended up in the secondary before kegging, hard spices and herbs at flameout. Pumpkin/carrot/beefs etc he would roast and add to the mash.

Back