Vintage Tap Install—need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beakerboy

Reaction score
My brother-in-law gave me this old tap he found in his mother-in-law's house. http://imgur.com/5AlcmAO
It looks like a vintage soda fountain tap, and I'd like to hook it up to my kegerator. The shank on this tap does not seem to match a standard beer shank since the collar on a spare tailpiece does not thread on. The nominal OD is about 3/4" in it's 14 threads per inch. I'm guess NPSM thread given those specs and the age. Has anyone worked with anything like this before? And idea where I can get a nut to mount it to my fridge, and how to convert to a hose barb?

Last edited:
There is a BSP 3/4"-14 thread type, and that beautiful faucet makes me think Old World.

If it came to it I'd have a custom shank machined for it. And while there's a certain something about the aged look, I think I'd have it stripped and rechromed (I'm assuming that's chromed)...

Cheers!

[edit] In the meantime, this might work to fit a standard tail piece or swivel nut to your original shank...

Thanks for finding that adapter. I'll have to look up the specs on BSP to see the differences between it and NPS. NOS is an American standard, while BSP is British, so I had not even looks at that as a possibility.

I think the tap is actually brass with a marble ball on the handle, so it has more of a steampunk look right now. I'll think about using some barkeepers friend if I want to polish it up.

Back