Motueka hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So I wanted to brew a pale ale and use all motueka hops. I have never used this hop before but the qualities of it sound great. So I'm sure some of u used them and do u guys think it would be good in an pale ale or ipa

Motueka is a fabulous hop. I've made a PA (in my recipes) with this and Pac Gem and it turns out fantastic. Such a unique aroma from NZ hops.

I've got an all NZ hopped beer in bottles now I named Maori IPA after NZ's original inhabitants. It's a PB/PM BIAB,using pacific gem for bittering,& motueka,pacifica,& wakatu for flavor & dry hop. It was bottled 5/25/13. So it'll be 2 weeks in bottles this Saturday. Danag,I hate waiting a coup[le more weeks to try it. gunna send yooper & my daighter a couple bottles to try. Yoop thought it sounded interesting,so I'll def look forward to her opinion on my most current pm escapade.

Motueka is 2/3 Saaz and tastes like it. I get orange with the floral, spicy Saaz notes. Other folks describe the citrus flavor of this hop as lemon/lime. I think the citrus character is yeast dependant, I've only used farmhouse strains with, maybe a cleaner ale strain will be different.

Motueka is 2/3 Saaz and tastes like it. I get orange with the floral, spicy Saaz notes. Other folks describe the citrus flavor of this hop as lemon/lime. I think the citrus character is yeast dependant, I've only used farmhouse strains with, maybe a cleaner ale strain will be different.

The strain I had was citrusy, but almost melon-y. It wasn't like anything else i've used.

Seems like all of the 5 varieties of NZ hops I've used are like no others flavor or aroma wize,in the world. A couple more weeks,& I'll be able to try my all NZ hopped PM Maori IPA. 7ozs of 4 different NZ hops in this one.

I did an all motueka IPA and loved it. As others have said, it provides a nice balance of Saaz spice and citrus.

What do u guys think about adding some lemon and lime zest to the boil for a little more flavor

I love Motueka! I use it by itself in blondes and ambers regularly I like it so much. It's only a little reminiscent of Saaz to me. I find it much more tropical and citrusy.

If you're trying to get a feel for it, I wouldn't mess with zest

TwoGunz said:
I love Motueka! I use it by itself in blondes and ambers regularly I like it so much. It's only a little reminiscent of Saaz to me. I find it much more tropical and citrusy.

If you're trying to get a feel for it, I wouldn't mess with zest

I just brewed a blonde (Biermunchers Centennial Blonde) but I used Magnum for bittering and all Motueka for flavor and aroma. It was my first time using them but I really liked the aroma.

If the dry hop on my Maori IPA came out right,this one is going to mass a full frontal assault on the drinkers' senses.I dry hopped with the same ones I used for the flavor additions; Motueka,pacifica,& wakatu. I really hope all the tropical fruity oaky cinammon & alspice aromas & flavors carry over to the finished beer. It's been one amazing ride brewing this one.
Also,it seems to me there's an NZ IPA out ther called Kiwi IPA?...

Back