Heading to Silver Springs.. Where to go??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am heading from Philadelphia to Silver Springs, MD this weekend and will be traveling through Bel Air, then Baltimore and then Columbia and was wondering where the good breweries / bottle shops / beer bars are.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

Silver Spring, specifically doesn't have anything local as far as breweries go, mostly just drinking local items such as many of the Maryland brews from Flying Dog, and DC Beltway offerings like DC Brau, Port City. The closest brewery would be 3 Stars which is in the Takoma Park section of DC. That's the closest to Silver Spring (they also are a shop that sells brew equipment also).

Bottle shops: I do 90% of my shopping in DC. Way better selection and prices than Silver Spring because Montgomery county has high prices on beer. However, Fenwick doesn't have too bad a selection but their prices are really high. Cheaper prices and selection are more the thing on the DC side.

As for a beer bar: In Silver Spring hands down the best place is the Quarry House Tavern. It's an obscure dive, but has a great bottle list, small taps offerings, but lots of selection and a basement feel. It's basic bar food nothing crazy good.

http://www.quarryhousetavern.com/

That's my 2 cents on "Silver Spring", but I do most my slumming in DC!! Where all the real good stuff is :)

Hope that helps.

By now you mustve been to the Firestation on Georgia Ave..But 3 stars isnt to bad..onl3 8atch is you van only get beer on the wkends..from what I've seen most of the good bars are in Dc.. There is Old Line on Rt.1 near laurel..Its a walmart of alcohol..a bistri as well..Huge selectiin frim Duclaw,heavy seas,Brewers art,etc
Sent from my M865 using Home Brew mobile app
Jason bell..hooe hell has beer..if ao, look me up..we'll do brunch

Frankilin's Brewpub in Hyattsville is relatively close to downtown Silver Spring, it's a suggestion. Churchkey (Birch and Barley) in DC is excellent, but hard to easily get to without a several block walk from McPherson Square or U Street metros.

Quarry House is the obvious downtown Silver Spring joint and Firestation isn't bad.

Corridor in Laurel is going to have a better bottle selection than just about anything else around, they're roughly the size of a Wal-Mart. Some of the smaller DC bottle shops have let me down on quality in a big way even when selection looks good.

Definitely check DC Brau and 3 Star, and make the trip to Frederick for Flying Dog if you can, it's a sweet brewery. I haven't toured but I have heard, and I did catch a concert out in front of their hop vines this summer, it was really neat.

I can't usually afford to drink in DC (can hardly afford to work there, lemmetellyou), but if you make it 30 min north to Mobtown do Cooper's and Max's in Fells Point, Coopers for food and great beer, Max's just for tap selection. And Joe Squared... don't get me started. Clam and bacon pizza with a $20 pitcher of craft beer? B'more food makes DC look like Old Country Buffet (and it kinda is, isn't it?).

Check Cooper's specials before you go. I like to hit them on Belgian night, there's a full list of Belgians for $3-6. Mind-blowing food.

Back