Full Hard Lemonade recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dawalkertiger said:
Anyone do this with red star pastuer champagne yeast?

Read the original post. The yeast selection is VERY IMPORTANT. Many yeast doesn't work with the acidity of the lemonade.

And.... started this one. Only change was I had to use some pink lemonade concentrate in place of regular (they only had 6 regular concentrates). The only ingredient difference was "grape skin color".

And like a champ I dumped my started yeast in with the temperature of 111 degrees. What a noob mistake. Guess I buy more yeast tomorrow if it's not going.

Ok. So since it isnt going at all now I'm getting another pack of yeast today. Can I just use a cup of what's in the bucket now to make the starter?

It worked. She's going now. But what I have noticed is that some of the yeast is sticking to the pulp and it's all rising to the surface to make a yeasty, pulpy cap. Should I beat that down like I would with fruit, or just fix the lid and let it go?

I added 4 lime and 6 lemon to this, tastes great! I will carb up 3/4 then leave some still for comparison.

I followed the recipie, and filled 2 tap a draft kegs and I will force carb. Then I bottled 36 for the still version.

Hey guys

i want to try a batch of lemonade and one with iced tea concentrate. should i be using a different yeast for the tea or is EC-1118 ok?

EC-1118 is pretty robust and should take off pretty well. It was in this recipe because it could handle the acidity. You could use another dry wine yeast if you're going to do tea.

Try it with whatever frozen juice (or tea) concentrates you want. The EC-118 is good with the acidity but will work fine for other non acidic concentrates.

The malt really rounds out the flavor. If you're drinking it you wouldn't probably be able to identify it and say "hey they used some malt in this!" but it melds in nicely.

Yeah, there is some body added by using DME that just sugar and lemonade would not have. You can not use it if you dont have it, just add another pound of sugar.

Just put this recipe together on Saturday. It is bubbling away! I am a noob, but very excited for this one. I am planning on skipping the potassium sorbate and force carbing in beer bottles followed by stovetop pastuerization. Any tips? Thanks

ok three things...

1) This is strongish and goes down so damn easy. Wow.

2) My WIFE likes it and she makes "the face" about anything that has alcohol in it.

3) Put a couple spoonfulls of those frozen sliced strawberries swimming in their own sugary juice in the glass. (thawed of course)

So I tried to make this and not sure how it's going to turn out. I didn't have any DME so I used the final running's from a wit I was making. I didn't measure the sugar (probably only a pound) that I used and I used 5 16oz containers of lemonade concentrate. I forgot to stir after I added my concentrate.

my S.G. was 1.037 so it's going to be light on the alcohol.

I will post again when I'm drinking it.

So I remembered that I didn't stir the mixture up before I took a reading so I might be good there. I was down stairs checking on the beer that I had brewed and noticed bubbles in the airlock on my hard lemonade fermentor. Tonight I'm going to take 2 cups of sugar and some water and boil it and add it to the fermentor.

Update, it turned out great! I carbed it up in the bottles and stovetop pasteurized. Perfect bubble, great taste too. This stuff is strong, very dangerous, I had 4 last night and I was feeling really good, lol. Thank you for a great recipe!

I plan on making this per the skeeter pee recipe tomorrow. This will be my first big batch of anything and I'm looking forward to this. I don't have a slurry, so will just have to rehydrate the EC-1118 ahead of time. Exactly how much yeast do I need to use? The directions seem a bit sketchy for quantity? And you folks say I'm looking at roughly 3 weeks here, from start to finish?

Just started a second batch of it. When it comes time to backsweeten I may split it and do 3gal of just lemonade, and 3gal with cran concentrate instead.

Without the 2.5lbs of corn sugar, approximately what ABV are we looking at?

I'm considering just using 1lb.

I added 4 lime and 6 lemon to this, tastes great! I will carb up 3/4 then leave some still for comparison.

Hey John. Did you skip the sorbate to make it carb up?

I'm new to this, with only 4 batches of wine under my belt. This will be my first attempt at carbonating anything. BTW, I read the Cider sticky on Pasteurization. Sounds simple enough.

Okay done! We will see what happens with my no-name lemonade... Of course the store has a sale on minute maid and is sold out.

Before pitching the yeast, this stuff already tastes amazing.

Used my new fancy O2 aeration device as well. So cool!

made a batch and the wife and MIL said that it tastes great. They have asked me to make more. While at the store today my wife made sure I got Lemonade so I can start another batch. I might use 2 cans of raspberry juice for the sweating/flavor next time.

Okay done! We will see what happens with my no-name lemonade... Of course the store has a sale on minute maid and is sold out.

Before pitching the yeast, this stuff already tastes amazing.

Used my new fancy O2 aeration device as well. So cool!

It's bubbling already! :ban:

Gonna be a busy day. Two batches of wine to bottle, two more to get started, and I'm gonna get this hard lemonade going today too.

For those of you who are interested in carbonating this recipe, I went to the LHB yesterday and quizzed the more seasoned hands about it. Their simplest conclusion (for someone who has nothing other than wine making equipment) was to follow the instructions as is and at the end to carbonate with one of those soda water machines. Although I think I'm not gonna take their advice and instead l go the stove top pasteurization route.

-Benson

Just a random idea. I think I'm going to try to brew a blonde and separately brew a hard lemonade. Combine at kegging time for a shandy. If you are so inclined, discuss...

Got this started yesterday and already getting some action. Starting gravity of 1.061 and hope to finish out with an ABV of 8-9.

Couple of clarifications on the instructions. One, if I'm reading it right, the ingredient list calls for 2.5 lbs corn sugar whereas the instructions say 3 lbs. I went with 2.5 lbs.

Two, I've never used concentrate to make anything, even what it was intended for. I wasn't sure whether to keep the concentrate frozen or thaw it out. I went the later route. Found out that was a mistake when the temp of the wort and concentrate combined was 115F. Topped off fermentor with ice and still had to put it in a ice water bath in the sink to get the temp down to 78F. This very well may have been a noob mistake, but like I said, never used the stuff before.

-Benson

Latest posts

Back