Vigorous primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The forager

Reaction score
I made two wines using concentrates. Added the same amount of sugar to each but one requires a blow off tube as it’s coming back up into the airlock.

Any idea what I’ve done wrong. Same yeast used. Same temperature.

I do my primary fermentation in a bucket with plenty of extra room for foam. Cover it with a dish towel, tied on with a string. Stir twice daily. In the first part of fermentation, yeast need oxygen. There is no need to use an airlock for the first several days.

Once the fermentation is mostly finished (SG is down to around 1.010), rack into a carboy and add an airlock. Once fermentation is finished, oxygen is your enemy.

I do my primary fermentation in a bucket with plenty of extra room for foam. Cover it with a dish towel, tied on with a string. Stir twice daily. In the first part of fermentation, yeast need oxygen. There is no need to use an airlock for the first several days.

Once the fermentation is mostly finished (SG is down to around 1.010), rack into a carboy and add an airlock. Once fermentation is finished, oxygen is your enemy.
I normally ferment my primary in a bucket but because it’s cartons of juice I didn’t this time. The other one I made at the same time does not require a blow off tube.

Am aware of the oxygen too. Realty just scratching my head over one being soo vigorous and the other not.

The realities of wine making, just when you think you left too much head space in primary a black sheep will make its mark. Sept. I started 1 white, 1 blended red and 2 dry reds, same prep procedure for all 4 then the dry marquette decides to blow up foam for 2 days after the other 3 settled down. I look forward to that one being a winner in 18 months

The realities of wine making, just when you think you left too much head space in primary a black sheep will make its mark. Sept. I started 1 white, 1 blended red and 2 dry reds, same prep procedure for all 4 then the dry marquette decides to blow up foam for 2 days after the other 3 settled down. I look forward to that one being a winner in 18 months
Glad to hear it’s not just mine.

I’m still new enough to wine making.

Back