Vietnamese Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of coffee with additives but sometimes I enjoy making an iced Vietnamese coffee with robusta beans. Enjoyable to go through all the steps in the brewing process more manually and the condensed milk has a very district flavor to it both in sweetness and richness of the milk.

coffee.jpg

It's a style of brewing using that little micropot that goes on top of the glass. You put some grinds in, then using a mesh screen you tamper them down, pour some hot water over to get them to bloom, tamper down the grounds more, then fill it with hot water and let it brew while slowly dripping into the glass.

You layer condensed milk, stir, then ice.

I've heard they use egg in a lot of coffee shops there as well in the process but I'm not that brave.

Very nice. Thanks, something else to irritate SWMBO, as she is "sensitive" to coffee and off it for a while, and loves Vietnamese coffee. What size do you have?
Tom

Not sure what size I have, used to run a coffee newsgroup ages ago and someone sent a few to me, thought they were standard.

Are there different sizes/quality?

I have a cupboard filled with various coffee makers. Been really liking my Chemex for drip but still I start everyday with the Gaggia Classic.

I actually just got my first Chemex not to long ago in July. My cousin seems to be a self-proclaimed coffee connoisseur and bought one for me. The first time I used it I couldn't help but call him and tell him how good my coffee was from this.

But ya, the Chemex is the way to go!

Back