Vic Secret Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
Has anyone used Vic Secret hops? What do you think? I have a couple ounces of 21% AA. The description says "Passionfruit and Pineapple with notes of Fresh Herbs and Pine Needles". I wanted to make a simple amber lager. But, I may save them for a NEbraskaIPA. I am not sure about the "Pine Needles" and whether I would like that.

I used them a couple of times several years ago. To me they had a background of tropical fruit and vanilla - no herbs or pine needles (FWIW, I really like some 'pine needle' from hops in APA and IPA. I find it a bit more complex than fruit, fruit, fruit). They were OK, but quite subtle. There are many better hops out there.

Yes, have used them a fair amount paired with NZ and other Aussie hops. They have a nice "red berries" and herbal-piney character that works in IPA's. I've also got a moderately strong spicy note from them, almost like thai basil. Be careful overusing them in dry hopping.

I love using Vic Secret hops in my NEIPAs, especially as a dry hop. I get a very strong pineapple/catty aroma from them that I really enjoy. If only they weren't so hard to get lately...

I had heard vic sec was basically a cheaper mellower version of galaxy; so i used a vic + galaxy combo in an IPA i usually brew /w just Galaxy.

I picked up a pine flavor, no pine aroma though. While others say no pine, i def got pine. No spice, but def some pine and the usually mango/pineapple/citris i get form galaxy. I couldn't tell how much of the citrus elements came from vic because I used a combo; i was more curious if I would be able to tell the beer had changed.

Back