Malolactic bacteria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Any thoughts about pitching WLP675 along with fruits that have a lot of malic acid?

Probably not a bad idea but for some reason I remember a weird thing about MLB. Its either a super diacetyl producer or high sulfur producer. I cant remember and my phone is special ed. instead of a smart phone.

It will produce some diacetyl, but the most offensive byproduct is geraniol, which is produced when malolactic fermentation progresses in the presence of sorbate. Keep sulfite levels low enough the bacteria can do its work, pitch it in secondary to only a portion of the batch, blend to taste, and add sulfite to prevent the bacteria from continuing to work and affecting the entire batch.

Sorry I was in a hurry. I should clarify this is for making a fruit wine essentially, to blend with a wild ale, as opposed to throwing MLB into secondary with the fruit. I wouldn't recommend that beyond a tiny experimental batch, since the effect is pretty drastic and the result may be fairly insipid. Simpler solution would be to choose a fruit with less malic acid. Far as the separate fermentation/blending idea is concerned... I guess the way I see it is with something as complex and interesting as wild fermentation, blending is our opportunity to regain control over what the finished product will be.

The questions was regarding sour fruit beers, rather than wines.

I've done some more reading. L. brevis, L. delbrueckii, & P. damnosus are all malolactic fermenters. I wonder what 675 is? White Labs doesn't say.

I've done some more reading. L. brevis, L. delbrueckii, & P. damnosus are all malolactic fermenters. I wonder what 675 is? White Labs doesn't say.

probably Oenococcus

Yes, in the spirit of not discouraging experimentation, I'm trying to say "yes and" rather than "no but." Small portion of a batch, use it in a blend if you find it useful.

probably Oenococcus

This is what Wyeast sell as their malolactic culture, so I would assume this to be correct. Thing I find curious is it's advertised as "cultures," plural, but a quick email to White Labs would answer that.

I combined seperate thoughts here. If the beer already has lacto or pedio, than MLF is already happening and adding 675 would be redundant. Wondering about 675 being O. oeni was an afterthought.

TNGabe said:
I combined seperate thoughts here. If the beer already has lacto or pedio, than MLF is already happening and adding 675 would be redundant. Wondering about 675 being O. oeni was an afterthought.

This is a good question, I wonder... Main difference I can think of is tolerance to acidity, so if the beer has soured to a pH in the low 3's, oenococcus would comfortably convert the malic acid whereas lacto and pedio may struggle.

This is what Wyeast sell as their malolactic culture, so I would assume this to be correct. Thing I find curious is it's advertised as "cultures," plural, but a quick email to White Labs would answer that.

Has anyone asked them? I'm surprised they don't seem to mention it anywhere, I would greatly like to know what I'm pitching in my musts.

Did you know, one study actually found O. oeni to be a probiotic? :p

Back