Multiple generation yeast with Fermcap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeer95648

Reaction score
I have scoured the internet and this forum and cant find a good answer to whether or not using Fermcap in the boil, and then carryover to the fermenter, is an issue when harvesting multiple generations. I remember a bit of talk about it in one of my university lectures 10 years ago, but thats it. The one paper I found from Allied Breweries in the 70's said that multi-generational yeast showed no deterioration in activity due to buildup of anti-foam, but that the brewer would have to add an absorbent at that point to remove the built up anti-foam to protect the integrity of the final beers foam stability. Does anyone have any experience using antifoam and harvesting for multiple pitches?

I use a couple drops of fermcap in each of my starters. I've been using the same batch of 1056 for months, ~6 batches so far. Usually put 1 drop into starter boil then another if it looks like it will overflow my flask. Haven't had any issues whatsoever with slow/poor fermentations. I have a ginger ale right now at high krausen and it's about an inch from blowing out of the 6.5 gal ferm.

I harvest the 1056 by making larger starters and just taking some from it so it isn't really washed.

Back