Reviving Old Yeast -- Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had some yeast purchased last June (While Labs Cali Ale WLP001) that has been in the refrigerator this entire time. We had a new baby in July and I tore up my knee a few months later, and just haven't had the time to brew.

The yeast had a best used by 09/25/12 date on it, but I could not find a date of production.

Decided to brew this weekend, but knew my yeast needed reviving. I've never done a starter before (I have brewed and bottled 10-12 batches), but started one Wednesday night.

Did one liter in a plastic two liter jug/pitcher covered in sanitized foil loosly and have shaken it when I get a chance.

As of this morning it looked like it was going pretty well. Obvious yeast Krausen forming at the top, things look to be going well.

From my reading, it would appear that some would recommend doing a second step up starter before brewing.

However, I plan on brewing tomorrow. Am I better off just letting the current starter go until I brew, or spend some time tonight doing a second step up?

http://yeastcalc.com/
This link may answer your questions. How much DME did you use in your 1 liter starter? What is the expected OG of your brew? How often can you shake the starter? Older yeast can be used, but first healthy yeast needs to be growm by using starters. A one step starter may be sufficient depending upon the estimated OG of your brew.

I usually do a 2-part step-up when I use older yeast. I start with around 1L, then bump it to 2L. I like to cold crash it the night before I brew to get the yeast out of suspension. You might be out of time since you're brewing tomorrow, but I don't think it will hurt anything to try. It's probably a coin-flip at this point.

http://yeastcalc.com/
This link may answer your questions. How much DME did you use in your 1 liter starter? What is the expected OG of your brew? How often can you shake the starter? Older yeast can be used, but first healthy yeast needs to be growm by using starters. A one step starter may be sufficient depending upon the estimated OG of your brew.

Thanks, I think you've answered my question. OG is expected to be 1.058.

How long do I need to leave the first starter in the fridge to cold crash it and get the yeast out of suspension before doing a second step-up?

Thanks, I think you've answered my question. OG is expected to be 1.058.

How long do I need to leave the first starter in the fridge to cold crash it and get the yeast out of suspension before doing a second step-up?

FWIW the production date on white labs yeast is 4 months before the "best by" date. It really only needs 3-4 hrs in the fridge to settle out the majority of the yeast IME. Depending on the size of your vessel, you can also just add more fresh wort without decanting.

FWIW the production date on white labs yeast is 4 months before the "best by" date. It really only needs 3-4 hrs in the fridge to settle out the majority of the yeast IME. Depending on the size of your vessel, you can also just add more fresh wort without decanting.

I figured it was four months, but wasn't sure.

I think I'll try adding more wort, and this saves the time of cold crashing and then bringing back up to room temperature etc.

Any problems with just pitching the entire starter as opposed to decanting and just pitching the yeast?

I figured it was four months, but wasn't sure.

I think I'll try adding more wort, and this saves the time of cold crashing and then bringing back up to room temperature etc.

Any problems with just pitching the entire starter as opposed to decanting and just pitching the yeast?

You can do that, but you're introducing a lot of nasty oxidized fermented wort into your nice fresh wort. I prefer to decant.

Back