Firestone Walker Pale 31 extract clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just getting into home brewing.... so I'm pretty new at this stuff. Pale 31 is one of my favorite brews so I ordered the 5 gallon extract clone kit from Austin Homebrew and will brew it this week. I'm a bit puzzled with the instructions though because in addition to 7 lb. Extra Pale Extract the kit includes .5 lb Munich, .5 lb Crystal and .5 lb Maris Otter crushed grains (all packaged together in mesh bag) with the following instructions - " bring 2 gallons water to 155F, soak grains for 25 min, lift bag out of water, drain without squeezing, discard grains, add 1 gal water, and return to heat until boiling, and add the LME. The instructions are for a partial boil however I'm planning on a full boil with late extract addition of half the LME.

My question relates to the Munich and MO. I thought these are base malts that require mashing. Can someone explain what is accomplished with this recipe? Is it steeping or mashing? Any suggestions and enlightenment greatly appreciated!

I'm fairly new to brewing myself and from what i can tell the only difference is the quantity. Small amounts require steeping and larger bills requiring mashing. Both just soak in water at a certain temp. Maybe the crushing or milling is different??

Someone with more experience can chime in.

What you are doing is basically a mini mash. Munich and MO have "mashing enzymes" (diastatic power,) so holding them at 155° is a mash. With that small of a mash, there isn't a lot being converted, but it is still technically a mash. Even at 30min, you should have conversion, so you will be adding fermentables, with the MO and Munich as well as color and flavor with the crystal malt. With such a small amount, although it is a very small mash, I'd still call it steeping, since it is not making up a significant amount of fermentables.

Back