Durian cider - yes I went there.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am at once intrigued and horrified. I can't even begin to imagine how bad fermenting durian is going to smell. Please post pics and updates as you go.

It will probably smell better than the durian on its own. Hopefully the rhino farts overpower it.

The chopstick method! Now I have to find out what durian is. Either wAy I love a good experiment. Welcome to the forum

Nice beard.

Did you taste any of the fruit? My understanding is that the flesh of the fruit tastes good but the actual pod itself smells absolutely awful?

Tupperwolf said:
Nice beard.

Did you taste any of the fruit? My understanding is that the flesh of the fruit tastes good but the actual pod itself smells absolutely awful?

The fruit itself smells very strongly (not just the pod) but tastes pretty good. Not sure I think it's good enough to tolerate the smell and difficulty of opening one, but much of Southeast Asia clearly thinks otherwise!

Will be very interested to hear how this turns out.

THe taste always reminds me of eating very ripe garlic cream with your sweaty toes. The worst of the sulfury smells will probably exit through your airlock, throughout your house, filling up the neigborhood. People will come out into the streets sniffing trying to decide who is the cause for such an assault on their noses. I suggest you join them, pretending to help find the culprit and missleading them until the worst of it is done fermenting. I tried that once living in a townhouse ripening some fishing bait, it would have worked, I had the neighbors thinking something terrible had happened in the farm next door, but then my wife turned me in and the homeowners ass. made me get ride of it all! Hopefully you can get it into a secondary before they narrow down their search to your basement. WVMJ

Their are people who don't like durian, and people who love it. It's like crack!! If I know you have fresh durian fruit, I'll break into your house and take it. You sir are the Man, please let us know how it works out?

It fermented fine, but the fruit left an appalling amount of pulp in the trub, and the skins in the fruit managed to clog my racking cane. So, in future attempts, a juicer will have to be used to keep from throwing so much stuff away.

It fermented to a pale yellow, cloudy, with an intense durian flavor. Without the sweetness of the fruit, it is pretty unpleasant.

I'm going to try a bit of camden tablet and some backsweetening to try and get more of the original durian flavor to come through, but right now, it's pretty much an onion and sulfur fart cider. Without the sweetness, the flavor is a LOT worse.

And it lingers.

For hours.

Even after trying to wash it away with a bloody mary, heavy on the tabasco.

no durians.jpg

Put it on the back shelf and let it age for the stinky flavors to blend together and get stronger:) That is a good idea for your label in the above post, I heard they were not allowed in some hotels, they should at least let you eat them on the porch. WVMJ

But you throw the skin in the trash and that's what stinks, give it a few days and it's a real pooper. Like what spent grain smells like after a week in the MLT but 40X stronger.

So how did this turn out? I lived overseas for a number of years (Malaysia) and am familiar with this fruit. The taste is different from person to person, some love it, some hate it. I'm indifferent, it's tasted like a strange meat to me (nothing like chicken). I'd be interested to find out how this tastes/turns out.

Bauerbrewery1989 said:
So how did this turn out? I lived overseas for a number of years (Malaysia) and am familiar with this fruit. The taste is different from person to person, some love it, some hate it. I'm indifferent, it's tasted like a strange meat to me (nothing like chicken). I'd be interested to find out how this tastes/turns out.

I'm pretty sure they were all disintegrated upon the aroma part of their sensory evaluation, and were never heard from again.

Not uncommon, I couldn't even imagine the rhino farts with this.

"Now on the 10 o'clock news, a local home had to be evacuated when one of the inhabitants tried to make durian cider."

Durian Cider

Recipe is pretty straightforward, 1 durian, top it off with apple juice. Champagne yeast, because I have a lot of it (I'm normally a mead guy).

Find out in a week or so just what unholiness I have wrought.
I was thinking about trying this , - my thoughts after reading through tread are not to use to much of this since it mostly lactic acid so use a low malic acid cider and add tartaric acid to give it some brightness. perhaps it may benefit with some aeration and ageing to oxidise some of foul smelling stuff maybe ?

Back