Pale ale with some stuff laying around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa4234

Reaction score
I have a bunch of centennial and cascade hops in the freezer, and an ounce of citra leaf hops.

I am trying to get my all grain process down, so I am looking to make a simple pale ale. Any ideas on a good grain bill or hop schedule?

I was thinking maybe some 2 row and a bit of honey or caramel malt.

I love doing these fridge-cleaner beers. It's a small joy of brewing. I made a great pale ale recently that was 8lbs 2-row, 1lb C40, and half a pound of wheat malt. You could cut the crystal back to a half pound or take it out completely for a dryer beer, this one was on the sweeter side with 10% crystal but well attenuated.

If you go with honey malt, stick to half a pound at least initially until you're more sure of how you like the flavor.

For hops, go with a half ounce to an ounce each at 20, 10, and flameout, and then maybe an ounce dry hop, depending on where you like your hops for a pale ale. An ounce at all 3 and 2 oz of dry hop puts you in a light IPA hop flavor/aroma arena, but if the bitterness is low, it will still be delicious.

Back