High Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlodermeier

Reaction score
Hy Folks,
I am sure this has been covered before; but, I could not find it using search so here it goes...

I have brewed 3 batches and starting my fourth today. Sadly, both my IPA's (one in secondary and one in primary still) have topped off at a final gravity at 1.040. I really wanted them to get under 1.020. Perhaps I am reading my hydrometer wrong but that is what I am seeing. Both of these brews I pitched Wyeast when the wort was at 70F. I left the Imperial sit 3 weeks and I am preparing to add another dose of years as per instructions. Sadly, I forgot to take OG on the first batch; and, on the second one my wife broke my hydrometer 2 minutes prior to needing to take my OG. Fatal mists take I know; but, all I can do is move on. Good news is the Imperial I have tasted just after racking it over and after 4 days of dry hopping. Both samples did taste good; but, I have a feeling it will not be very a Imperial like when it comes to ABV/IBU. Now for questions:

1) what could I have done to make the beers stay so high in gravity?

2) is there anything that I can do to lower the FG in their current states to get me to where I need to be (let sit longer? Add some sugar and repitch some yeast? )

3) if nothing can be done, what can I do to ensure that this does not happen again?

Some more info:
1) I activated the Wyeast and let it sit for a good 4 hours to make sure it was really ready

2) both beer hade kite a bit of extract (13Lbs and 10Lbs if I recall)

3) I did full 60 minute boils on both, not starting the clock until I reached a rolling boil (my definition is just as soon as the wort begins to roll)

4) the Imperial used Wyeast 1056 and the standard IPA used Wyeast 1332,

5) my hop additions were battering right a rolling boil, 2nd addition 10 mins prior, 3rd addition 5 mins prior, final addition 2 mins prior

6) both brews will be dry hopped.

I am looking for any way to drop my gravity .020 to reach between 1.020/1.025. Thank you so very much and I appreciate all advise ahead of time. I am leaving for the brew store in a couple hours so I will watch this forum like a hawk.
:mug::mug::mug:

I think I have more questions for you than answers.

What temp have you been fermenting these batches at? If it's been too cold for the yeast, that will have stalled your fermentation.

Have you taken gravity readings over a three day period and they have remained consistent? Perhaps you have a slow fermentation that's still chugging along.

To offer a suggestion to your original question, try moving it to a warmer spot. This may perk the yeast up a bit to continue doing their jobs.

#1 you underpitched by a large amount. Those both should have had a pretty big starter.
That said, the yeast should have reproduced and taken the gravity lower than that. Is you hydrometer accurate? Test it with distilled water - it should read 1.000.

I would try swirling the wort gently to get the yeast back in suspension and have the fermentation temperature about 68 degrees and see if that drops the gravity any more.

I have been fermenting in the garage. I figured that would be best; but the highs and lows have been around 48-65. I will stick them both in the sun today. Don't know if this matters but the Imperial I have been needing to go out and let the gas out since the top of my bucket seems to bulge daily. I hope it is still chugging long since all that means it time will take care of my beer. I the yeast has stalled, it is worth adding more and some yeast food to get them excited again?

Ok. If I under-pitched why did the recipe only call for one packet of the Wyeast? How can I know how much yeast to use? Is their a Malt weight to yeast ratio that I am not aware of? Tank you so much! I can get some extra yeasts and repitch is that will help.

Ok, 48 is too cold. You want to get your fermenters into a warmer (60-65) constant temperature environment. I find my hallway closet works perfectly.

Yes, if the top of your bucket is bulging daily - that's a good sign. That means the yeast are still working, just slower. Do you not have an airlock? If not, I consider installing one for your next brew. That let's the extra CO2 out of the bucket and keeps O2 out. (Which also keeps your lid from being blown off).

At this point, I'd warm them both up before considering adding more yeast/sugar. Give them time and wait for your gravity readings to be constant over at least three days. Also, swirling your bucket to put the yeast back in suspension is a good idea (as mentioned by kh54s10).

I just slowly stirred both batches and decided to bring them in the house since I know our home stays around 65-70 constantly. Lot see what happens. I the Imperial still needs time, I guess the worst that will happen is that I lose some of the dry hop

I do have an airlock for primary; but, not on secondary. I will just get airlocks for all of my buckets so I do not have to deal with it. Then I always know.

Is distilled like Dasani or something? I have that an tap around the house. The Dasani reads in at 1.001

So a recap so far...
1) I moved my batches from outside to the inside where it is a consistent 65-70 degrees

2) I gently stirred both batches in hops to get the yeast hopping around again

3) I checked my hydrometer by placing it into Dasani water and the gravity was 1.001

4) the secondary does not have an airlock but is bulging, so I will be adding the airlock today along with adding anothe packet of yeast as per directions

5) the batch with the airlock is going faster so hopefully the yeast will party more in the warmer climate.

Thanks guys! Information I will never forget. Now I will let time take it's course and start a new batch today.

Lots of times extract beers don't attenuate well, for no apparent reason. It might or might not get any lower, even after making the changes. I often get 60% attenuation - the beer still tastes good. With any adding or stirring you're doing, be careful not to get oxygen into it or it will taste like cardboard.

I am just going to let it run its course. The yeast seems to still be working a tiny bit; so, it will sit until there is no more signs of life. I did my first All Grain this weekend. My efficiency sucks but will get better with time. I think I was about .010 under expected OG and I am chalking that up to not sparging at the correct temperature.

Back