Partial mash: Possible to delay before boiling wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
Some friends will help me brew tomorrow, and I'd like to prepare the partial mash before they get there. Can I do it the day before or the morning of brewing in the afternoon? If so, what's the best way to keep the mash for the hours before the boil? Fridge? Thanks!

It's just a matter of timing--when I can start and when we need to be finished. I thought the timing would work out better if I could get the partial mash done in advance, but don't want to do that if it will mess up the brew. Thanks!

I don't think it will mess up the brew. Do the mash, put a lid on the brew kettle and let it sit, then bring it up to a boil when you are ready to start with the hops. I don't see why it would be an issue.

Doing it the morning of brew day would be fine IMO. If you do it the day before, I would suggest heating the wort after you remove the grain to 180 - 190 degrees to pasturize it, then just put a lid on the pot till the following day.

You could also refrigerate it after pastuerizing if you like. There is lactobacillus on raw grain, so letting a mash sit without boiling will eventually sour...a few hours is not a big deal, but beyond that, heating will stabilize it if you need to store it for a while.

Back