Please critique my Simcoe IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Hey all- I'm brewing this up either this afternoon or tomorrow. I've already got my grains, so I really won't be deviating from the grain bill. Just curious to what everyone thinks about this...What should I be expecting?

This is the first time I created my own recipe. I used Brewer's Friend and had a blast messing around with it. Anyway...Let me know your thoughts:

1- Gallon AG Batch
Simcoe IPA
60 min boil
Mash 154 for 60 min
Target OG: 1.058
Target FG: 1.016
Efficiency: 65%
IBU's: 74
ABV: 5.5%

Grains

2.20 lb American 2-Row
0.15 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L
0.10 lb Victory Malt

Hops
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ FWH
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 60 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 30 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 5 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 1 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ Flameout

Misc
Whirlfloc @ 15 min.

Dry Hop
Simcoe- 0.10 oz for 1 week after FG is met

Yeast
US-05

If it was me, I'd drop the 30min addition and change the end additions to 0.2oz 10min, 0.2oz 5min, 0.2oz flameout. Then 0.2oz dryhop.

I'd also question why I'm doing a FWH and 60min.

Maybe 55-60IBU and an FG of 1.012-14 might be a bit more balanced and in style as well.

It looks a bit light in the hops department in my opinion for an IPA. I'm not sure how much of the hop aroma and flavor will come out with less than one ounce used in the entire brewing process. I generally use three ounces for aroma and flavoring and one ounce for dry hopping alone. That's just me.

If it was me, I'd drop the 30min addition and change the end additions to 0.2oz 10min, 0.2oz 5min, 0.2oz flameout. Then 0.2oz dryhop.

I second this. I think it looks like a nice recipe though. I've brewed some batches with almost the exact same grain bill and using amarillo plus simcoe. Personally I'm fine with the 74 IBU's.

It looks a bit light in the hops department in my opinion for an IPA. I'm not sure how much of the hop aroma and flavor will come out with less than one ounce used in the entire brewing process. I generally use three ounces for aroma and flavoring and one ounce for dry hopping alone. That's just me.

it's a 1 gallon batch.

Did you see he's got a 1 gallon batch? 3 ounces flavor and aroma would be 15 oz in 5 gallons. :eek:

Edit: jinx, too slow

I ended up going with the following hop additions (grain bill staying the same as above)...What do you guys think?

Hops
Simcoe- 0.20 oz @ 60 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 5 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 1 min

Dry Hop
Simcoe- 0.20 oz for 1 week

JeffoC6 said:
I ended up going with the following hop additions (grain bill staying the same as above)...What do you guys think?

Hops
Simcoe- 0.20 oz @ 60 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 5 min
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 1 min

Dry Hop
Simcoe- 0.20 oz for 1 week

Beer smith must not scale well down to a 1g recipe. When I plug your original recipe and above hop schedule I get 38 IBU a(assuming 13%AA) and 6 SRM, both low for the style. Having a 1min and a flameout seems redundant.

That being said, in your above hop schedule I would have done the following

.20 @ FWH (I would have done .30 personally)
.10 @ 30
.10 @ 5
.10 @ Flameout.

Dry Hop

.20 for 7-10 days.

Let us know how it turns out!

Do you by any chance only have 0.7oz of hops? It seems like you're pretty keen to use that amount.

If you have more, I stand by the advice I gave... if not, then do you have anything else? Maybe some other high alpha hop so you can move the 60min addition into the end of boil (as I guess you're after a big simcoe hit and nothing else, but you could use something else at the start of the boil).

Do you by any chance only have 0.7oz of hops? It seems like you're pretty keen to use that amount.

If you have more, I stand by the advice I gave... if not, then do you have anything else? Maybe some other high alpha hop so you can move the 60min addition into the end of boil (as I guess you're after a big simcoe hit and nothing else, but you could use something else at the start of the boil).

Yea, I had just about that amount.

I already brewed this yesterday though with the hop schedule I posted a few posts above...Just wondering how it might come out.

Yea, I had just about that amount.

I already brewed this yesterday though with the hop schedule I posted a few posts above.

In that case, RDWHAHB! I'm sure it will be good. If it doesn't have enough flavor and aroma for you then you can go with ChillWill's schedule next time.

This is the first time I created my own recipe. I used Brewer's Friend and had a blast messing around with it. Anyway...Let me know your thoughts:

This is Larry from Brewer's Friend. Really glad you enjoyed using the tool! Did you know you can share the recipe, or export it as text for easy sharing in forums?

As for your hops bill, looks good. I'd say go for it. With such small quantities you will need an accurate scale to weigh out the grains.

When you are ready you can go back to the recipe and click 'the scale' button to increase it to a 3 or 5 gallon batch.

Beer smith must not scale well down to a 1g recipe. When I plug your original recipe and above hop schedule I get 38 IBU a(assuming 13%AA) and 6 SRM, both low for the style. Having a 1min and a flameout seems redundant.

That being said, in your above hop schedule I would have done the following

.20 @ FWH (I would have done .30 personally)
.10 @ 30
.10 @ 5
.10 @ Flameout.

Dry Hop

.20 for 7-10 days.

Let us know how it turns out!

Too late.. but, I do like this better.. and agree that the 1min and Flameout additions are redundant. Also, I've never really understood the 30 minute additions.. Seems like just about all the flavor will be turned into bitterness. I go for more at 60 min, skip the 30 min, add at 15, 5 and flameout.. plus a dry hop.

Hope your trial is good.. post us on the results

Well, just cracked my first one. Bottled on 5/14/12. Let carb for 3 weeks. Put one in the fridge on 6/4 and cracked it open 10 min. ago. Here's a picture:

-1-7.jpg

This is my first time using strictly simcoe. When I tasted it at bottling, it was good, but had that musky/pee smell and taste to it haha. It's not my favorite flavor, but it's still pretty damn good. Here are my notes. I'm still new to tasting and developing my pallet, so apologies if these tasting notes aren't up to snuff:

Appearance- Nice amber and copper color. Not clear, but not too hazy. About 1 finger of thin off-white head that dissipates and hangs around as a thin layer.

Smell- A wet/dank aroma. Floraly with a hint of sweetness and pine. A little fruit as well.

Taste- Taste is crisp and above average hop bitterness up front. Balanced by a malty bitter finish. Taste is dank and pine and bittersweet.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and smooth. Perfect carbonation.

Overall- A really nice and drinkable IPA. The simcoe hops are an interesting flavor. Not overly piney or citrusy. Sort of a unique blend, with a musty undertone. Will brew again.

As a note, here's the hop schedule I used (1-gallon AG batch):
Simcoe- 0.20 oz @ 60 min.
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 5 min.
Simcoe- 0.10 oz @ 1 min.

Dry Hop
Simcoe- 0.20 oz for 7 days after FG met.

I can't drink an all-simcoe IPA often... I like it in small quantities late in the boil to complement amarillo and/or citra though.

Simcoe is such a popular hop people think there is something wrong with themselves if they don't like it.

I personally don't care for it. It's ok to balance some citrus hops but I much prefer chinook.

haha, i love simcoe as well. you have to use it in the right moderations or else it's going to taste/smell like cat pee beer.

on the other hand, after RUINING a wheat pale ale with 1 oz of citra in the dry hop, i don't think i'll ever use that hop again. i might as well have been drinking alcoholic mango juice because it just overpowered my beer.

congrats on the recipe.

hmm, i thought i saw a similar lay out for beer tasting notes on beeradvocate.com...hopefully you're not quaffing your beer with your pinky out just yet.

You said you'd brew it again. Out of curiosity will you change your hop schedule? And if so what changes would you make?
I am wanting to create a piney IPA. I didn't do very well on my first try. I used Chinook and Centennial.
I'll be making another IPA soon and am not sure which direction I should go (citrusy or piney or a combo...). I have Columbus, lots of Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe, and have 1 oz of Amarillo on the way.

You said you'd brew it again. Out of curiosity will you change your hop schedule? And if so what changes would you make?
I am wanting to create a piney IPA. I didn't do very well on my first try. I used Chinook and Centennial.
I'll be making another IPA soon and am not sure which direction I should go (citrusy or piney or a combo...). I have Columbus, lots of Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe, and have 1 oz of Amarillo on the way.

Honestly, I'm not at the point yet where I can speak to the optimum hop schedule. I would've liked it to be more "up-front" and aromatic. The bitterness was there, but not overly so. With that said, maybe add more towards the end of the boil? Maybe someone else can help you out a little better than I can.

I just brewed a pale ale that I dry-hopped with 2 0z of Simcoe leaf hops. I can definitely second the, um, "dankness". When Bobby_M said "Simcoe smells like 10 cats pissing in a pine tree" he wasn't kidding! That being said, I think of it like stinky cheese. If you don't like cheese or haven't tasted a lot, you probably won't like stinky cheese. Then again, even after you have a good deal of familiarity with cheese, you still might not like the stinky kind. I really like Simcoe.

Danky and funky I might have to use Simcoe in a farmhouse ale.

brewski08 said:
haha, i love simcoe as well. you have to use it in the right moderations or else it's going to taste/smell like cat pee beer.

on the other hand, after RUINING a wheat pale ale with 1 oz of citra in the dry hop, i don't think i'll ever use that hop again. i might as well have been drinking alcoholic mango juice because it just overpowered my beer.

I doubt your wheat is ruined. Give it a few weeks and the mango will fade.

Errr. I mean. RUINED, total abject failure..send me your citra. :nods:

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping someone could chime in with some thoughts on conditioning time. I made a similar 1 gal BIAB, all Sorachi IPA 2 weeks ago. My OG (1.058) was lower than targeted for a few reasons related to my inexperience but is similar to yours. I noticed you only fermented for 3 weeks. Is that a pretty standard amount of time? I was guessing at 3 weeks primary, with a rack and dry hop for another 7 days in secondary, for a total of 4 weeks. I thought that even seemed short... or am I wrong. I've also only ever carbonated for 2 weeks, does the third week help to condition? Thanks.

3 weeks for fermentation is fairly standard, as is 3 weeks for conditioning. I've upped my times to 4 weeks though as I've had a couple of beers (IPA for sure) that tasted one way in the first week, but after another week changed a little.

I also upped my fridge time from 2-3 days to a week.

Latest posts

Back