is it possible that I dont have enough juice to reach a rolling boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have a few doubts about the boiling part of my brewing process (the one that I havent tested yet).

1, I have heard of something called a "hot break"...when the protein wants to come to the surface to the wort. Is that the point from which the boil (and the 60 mins for the hops) is counted from?

2, I have tried my burner with 4 liters of water. It seemed to warm it in an okay way....however, I am wondering if my gas burner will be able to handle a full boil for the hops. How can I predict or know it? Just by testing it?

Thanks in advance for the info.

You just are going to have to test it. I know my kitchen burner will only boil 4 gallons, if I put the lid on until the boil starts.. I use the stove to heat sparge water and do my boils outside.

Test and see what your burner will do.

You just are going to have to test it. I know my kitchen burner will only boil 4 gallons, if I put the lid on until the boil starts.. I use the stove to heat sparge water and do my boils outside.

Test and see what your burner will do.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense. I am just a bit worried at this stage....I shouldnt have asked this question. :) I just need to wait till Saturday and try it. Thanks.

Elysium said:
Yeah, it makes perfect sense. I am just a bit worried at this stage....I shouldnt have asked this question. :) I just need to wait till Saturday and try it. Thanks.

You should just take a full volume of water and try it before you try to brew:)

I have a few doubts about the boiling part of my brewing process (the one that I havent tested yet).

1, I have heard of something called a "hot break"...when the protein wants to come to the surface to the wort. Is that the point from which the boil (and the 60 mins for the hops) is counted from?

2, I have tried my burner with 4 liters of water. It seemed to warm it in an okay way....however, I am wondering if my gas burner will be able to handle a full boil for the hops. How can I predict or know it? Just by testing it?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Yep, do it now. As far as the hot break...it basically is foam, LOTS OF IT! BE careful so as not to boil over, it's a ***** to clean up.

Personally, I wait for my hot break to come on, then I play with the heat as to still have a boil...but not boil over. The "hot break" will slowly settle back into the wort, then I crank up the heat a little more to get more foam going. I wait for that to settle in, then I crank up the heat again.
I do this until I have a HARD rolling boil with no foam being generated. It is from here that I start my 60 minutes timer.

Good luck!:mug:

Yep, do it now. As far as the hot break...it basically is foam, LOTS OF IT! BE careful so as not to boil over, it's a ***** to clean up.

Personally, I wait for my hot break to come on, then I play with the heat as to still have a boil...but not boil over. The "hot break" will slowly settle back into the wort, then I crank up the heat a little more to get more foam going. I wait for that to settle in, then I crank up the heat again.
I do this until I have a HARD rolling boil with no foam being generated. It is from here that I start my 60 minutes timer.

Good luck!:mug:
Same for me.

Back