Adding Vanilla to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnutt73

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm wondering if anyone else has added Vanilla to their home brew. I tried this on one of my last batches and it turned out okay. But it did not get the flavor I was looking for. I added actual Vanilla beans to the secondary. Basically I split them in half to expose the inside and let the alcohol leech the flavor out.

I know there is Vanilla extract but I don't want to go that route, or the artificial stuff either. I know I can add the beans to a Vodka and then add that in the brew but it is basically the samething as extract. Plus I dont want to add vodka to my brew.

I used 3 beans last time I think I'm gonna go for 6 this time. I was just wondering If anyone else has done this and how it turned out.

I have been experimenting with adding things to the priming sugar during boil and then straining it out before dumping it in the bottling bucket. So far been very successful with cinnamon, for dried spices like these it seems to work better brewing it like tea in the primer than sitting in on a secondary.

vanilla beans and other things are on the list for future brews.

I have been experimenting with adding things to the priming sugar during boil and then straining it out before dumping it in the bottling bucket. So far been very successful with cinnamon, for dried spices like these it seems to work better brewing it like tea in the primer than sitting in on a secondary.

vanilla beans and other things are on the list for future brews.

So are you doing this during the Wort process? If so it would be to late for me but I wonder if I could make a concentrate little batch and add to the Secondary?

6 beans is waaaaaaaay too much, don't do that. how long did you give it on the beans? i would chop them up more to give more surface area

I'm doing it for the 2nd time now, but I just chop up the bean & soak it in bourbon during the primary and add it to the keg. last time it took 1-2 months to reach the desired level of vanilla, but 1 was plenty for me and worked out incredibly

What size batch did you make? 3 beans seems excessive for a 5 gallon batch. I've used 1 bean per 5 gallons and it's turned out well.

After you opened them, did you scrape out the insides, or just leave them in there? If you didn't scrape them out, they're not going to have the surface area they could have had.

Why are you against using extract? And why are you against putting vodka in your beer? It's not much more than pure ethanol. Vanilla flavor takes time to come into solution, especially for relatively low alcohol solutions like beer.

The bean itself is another variable to consider. Some are more mild in flavor than others.

So I just split them down the middle and opened them up. I guess that may be an issue. As far as why not extract I don't want the artificial taste that comes with it. I guess a Good burbon would be a nice addition. So how much Burbon and do you toss it all in?

I did a cup, but you just need enough to cover the bean if you don't want the alcohol flavor. toss it all in.

So are you doing this during the Wort process? If so it would be to late for me but I wonder if I could make a concentrate little batch and add to the Secondary?

I did this in my priming solution just prior to bottling, the flavors and aromas seem to survive a little better (IMO) than adding it to a primary or secondary. And luckily this is a last stage thing, so it gives a little time to think.

I have a chocolate-ish porter sitting on a handful of smoked chipotles in secondary, and once the flavor reaches a certain point on that I will be add cinnamon sticks to my priming solution during the boil.

Wingnutt73 said:
So I just split them down the middle and opened them up. I guess that may be an issue. As far as why not extract I don't want the artificial taste that comes with it. I guess a Good burbon would be a nice addition. So how much Burbon and do you toss it all in?

I'm brewing a batch of Vanilla Caramel Cream right now. From what I have read from various threads on here as well as other culinary sites is that whole vanilla beans need to soak in some sort of hard alcohol in order to "extract" the vanilla flavor from the beans. Most recommend to slit the bean lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, cut the bean husk into small (1" or so) pieces and soak it all in the alcohol. Depending on what, if any, minute additional flavors you want, the type of hard alcohol can be any liquor (vodka, bourbon, rum, etc). The amount of alcohol that the bean and seeds soak in only needs to be enough to cover them, which is not a lot at all. The vanilla in the beans are not very soluble in water or low alcohol concentrations, however, the flavor can be extracted over extended periods of time. The quickest way is to soak them in the alcohol.

I soaked 3 beans (seeds scraped out and husks cut into 1" pieces) in a small amount of vodka and within a few hours there was a very nice and strong vanilla smell over the smell of the vodka. I chose to add this to my primary at pitching time, but I have also read that it is perfectly acceptable or preferred to add to secondary.

I'm brewing a batch of Vanilla Caramel Cream right now. From what I have read from various threads on here as well as other culinary sites is that whole vanilla beans need to soak in some sort of hard alcohol in order to "extract" the vanilla flavor from the beans. Most recommend to slit the bean lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, cut the bean husk into small (1" or so) pieces and soak it all in the alcohol. Depending on what, if any, minute additional flavors you want, the type of hard alcohol can be any liquor (vodka, bourbon, rum, etc). The amount of alcohol that the bean and seeds soak in only needs to be enough to cover them, which is not a lot at all. The vanilla in the beans are not very soluble in water or low alcohol concentrations, however, the flavor can be extracted over extended periods of time. The quickest way is to soak them in the alcohol.

I soaked 3 beans (seeds scraped out and husks cut into 1" pieces) in a small amount of vodka and within a few hours there was a very nice and strong vanilla smell over the smell of the vodka. I chose to add this to my primary at pitching time, but I have also read that it is perfectly acceptable or preferred to add to secondary.

Thank That I guess is what I was looking for. Guess im off to the Liquor store tonight to get some burbon!! Thanks a bunch guys.

So Just an update. I used 2 beans scarped them out, cut into 1" pieces and left them in Crown Black for a day. Tossed that in to the secondary and left it sit on there for a week. Turned out amazing While bottling last weekend I had a 24oz that would not cap the wife drank the whole thing room temp and flat. Thanks for all the great info guys!! :)

Thanks for the update. I have a chocolate stout I bought beans for. Will probably brew it next weekend. 2 beans seem the consensus so that is what I will be doing. I am looking forward to this one.

Thanks again for the post and update.

I added 2 beans split open and chopped up along with some bourbon to a porter in a 5 gal secondary with good results. Fairly subtle vanilla flavor, but it was definitely there.

Okay So I added 2 Beans for a 5 gallon batch. Take the bean cut it long ways in half. Then take a spoon and scrape the insides out. I have a little mason jar ready and waiting with "Insert 40Proof or more of choice here" and add the insides to it. I then take the beans and cut them into about 1" pieces and toss them in too.

Basically you are making your own extract. It turned out really nice when added to the English brown. On Bottling day It had a good strong Vanilla taste to it. That has some what mellowed out now but it is still there for the most part and I am very happy with it.

Some say use one bean I like Vanilla and used 2. To be honset Next time I might go 2 1/2 to get it really good and strong. I let it sit in the Crown Black for about 8 hours then tossed it into the secondary racked it ontop of it and it mixed in nicely!!

Back