Manually Switching a Solenoid Valve Open & Closed and Using An Electronic Ignition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a switch, that I manually flip, control a solenoid valve and an ignition electrode?

I'm getting ready to purchase an Auber 2362 PID. Would it be possible to wire two switchs that I manually flip that would open and close the propane solenoid valve and turn an ignition electrode "on" and "off"? I would be the one to flipping the switch on and off. It would not be automatic.

Here's what I would like to do so it makes sense.
1. Use the PID to monitor temps.
2. When the temps drop too low...
2a. Flip one switch to open the solenoid and turn on the propane (the flow rate would have been previously set at the regulator).
2b. Flip another switch to start sending power to the ignition electrode which would begin to spark.
2c. Once the propane is lit, turn off power to the ignition electrode.
2d. Once temps are reached, turn off the propane.

Here is the link to the PID:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=106

Could I wire both the Solenoid valve and the ignition electrode to the proper PID poles 13 & 14 (see the instruction manual on the page linked above). The solenoid valve and ignition electrode would have separate switches, but the same power source.

The reason I'm looking into this is two-fold.
1. I don't want total automation, but I don't want everything totally manual either.
2. I don't want to mess with the pilot light option.
3. This seems like it would be a lot cheaper.

Would this work? I'm not an electrician. So help me out if you could. If this wouldn't work, what would work that would allow me to do in steps lined out above? Thanks.

Back