My insane 25 Gal, 100 Percent Hard Plumbed Tri-Clover, Automated Tippy Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks awesome! I can't wait to see it completed! Quick question. What piece of software did you use to draw your schematic?

I am curious how you have a hard-plumbed tippy dump? Are you just going to disconnect to dump it?

Barryfine,

Do you really have to ask that? ha I am well trained in many different design tools, but I went with that crappy program that comes with your computer, called "PAINT"lol

ppeg34, I plan on disconnecting one fitting. Hopefully it doesn't prove to be a pain. I originally had an elbow under the tank. I may have to go back to that design.

Barryfine,

Do you really have to ask that? ha I am well trained in many different design tools, but I went with that crappy program that comes with your computer, called "PAINT"lol

Haha that's great. I would have never guessed that's what you used.

Sorry thier has not been much action since my first post. I got really sick this week and welding just didn't seem exactly appealing. tonight im going to try to get some things done. My biggest hold up is waiting for parts to come in.

kickflip_mj said:
Sorry thier has not been much action since my first post. I got really sick this week and welding just didn't seem exactly appealing. tonight im going to try to get some things done. My biggest hold up is waiting for parts to come in.

Feeling any better?

Ok so I am feeling better and a small gift came in the mail tonight.. I should have a really large gift coming Wednesday.

image-4030580956.jpg

Apparently I shipped stuff to my home and not office- so found this when I get home.

image-3926190721.jpg

Putting in some work on the tippy dump wasteband. My little lincoln

image-835275332.jpg

weldpak 10 running to the max

I started working on my tippy dump tonight, this is the band that goes around the mash tun

image-1443925997.jpg

Just some welding shots

image-1678750937.jpg

image-1240313422.jpg

My mash tun, if you are wondering way I have a 6 inch tri clover on the bottom it's because I screwed up like 3 times welding the bottom of this pot (didn't want to admit that) but it looks cool now

image-1743862.jpg

Fitting the band around the mash tun. If you look closely you can see my vise grip pulling it together, this is because I broke my large c clamp doing this ( pot metal junk anyways)

image-112901604.jpg

Welding the bottom support to the waste band on the mash tun

image-716273815.jpg

Mounted the band to the frame using modified pillow blocks ( bearings inside housings)

image-627704775.jpg

image-3244980681.jpg

Almost Completed mash fun tippy dump, all that's left is a little bit of grinding.

image-2708692645.jpg

image-3023989961.jpg

Drilling through a 6 inch tri clover end cap was ridiculous.

image-710966618.jpg
Some piping to HLT for herms coil

image-4198074219.jpg

image-3320131018.jpg

Attachments

• image-3467840144.jpg
    image-3467840144.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 5,089
haha Marc, you of all people should know there was no short cuts when getting tri clovers. I bought it right from brewershardware.com, and you know why it costs a ton when you hold the thing in your hand. basically the cap, clamp and seal will cost you $60. Do you need any 1/2 inch clamps or 1" tri clovers? I have WAY to many, oh and 1 1/2 and 2 inchers.lol

Oh so shinny! I just ran out of clamps, elbows and tubing.. Nothing like a $300 order. Damn building is WAY more expense than anticipated. Cheers

image-1709348539.jpg

image-2469569475.jpg

kickflip_mj said:
haha Marc, you of all people should know there was no short cuts when getting tri clovers. I bought it right from brewershardware.com, and you know why it costs a ton when you hold the thing in your hand. basically the cap, clamp and seal will cost you $60. Do you need any 1/2 inch clamps or 1" tri clovers? I have WAY to many, oh and 1 1/2 and 2 inchers.lol

Heh! I need 6 sets of those! Damn. Send me a PM with what you've got, I need to piece together my hoses, looks like 1.5" everywhere should do

Ha yeah I'm up to 14 seperate orders through them. I am building quite the personal relationship over the phone too. Ha I'm glad I can support a small business and put shoes on their children's feet.

If you ever decide you want to start selling Chugger pump heads with that tri-clamp modification, let me know!

Uber, That's a pretty good idea, Maybe do an exchange program, you guys send me your stainless heads and I modify them for you? Or sell the complete head? Just a thought.

AJ,

I did actually consider this route, but then I would have to be more "hands on". Funny enough its something I wanted to avoid. Funny enough its not as many connections as you think.

I want tri-clover ferrules on my Chugger pump heads! Let me know if you do an exchange program...

Received my burners and water filter!

image-4141813819.jpg

This is the lock for my tippy dump.. Probably the worst thing to get level for some reason. After I drilled the hole in it the tack weld broke, turned into a mess to get everything back.

image-1097157178.jpg

Soldered tri clover caps onto the counter flow. Which turned out to be extremely easy. Just like soldering copper. I drilled a hole to match the OD of the copper. Added some flux, heated it up with the torch and filled the joint. I highly recommend this to everyone. The caps are $3 a piece and you remove any threads that would be in contact with wort.

image-787069863.jpg

Making pipe mounts, I took a 3/8 stainless bolt, cut the head off and tack welded to the TC clamp

image-2947810370.jpg

image-4211225957.jpg

Then I drilled a hole in the frame then welded a bolt down. Viola

image-4162117740.jpg

Put some serious work in today, HLT recirculating return. I did this because the pump was free and it would keep more accurate temps.

image-152502771.jpg

Mounted my convoluted counter flow chiller, really hard to get mounted, but it fits perfect.

image-3027541037.jpg

image-3348517166.jpg

Uber, That's a pretty good idea, Maybe do an exchange program, you guys send me your stainless heads and I modify them for you? Or sell the complete head? Just a thought.

I'm in. Tell me where to send the head and how much extra to include for your troubles.

lookn sweet bro!

be sure to post pics of your first brewing session when you get there. hope it all comes together nicely for you

When I get done I have a tech company writing an article about my brewery:) and yes I will make sure I post all the way through .

Thanks guys for following. I wanted to work on my brew stand but I am currently working on my truck. Upper control arms are shot.

image-986268257.jpg

Attachments

• image-1285167376.jpg
    image-1285167376.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4,402
Back