Welding a pin-lock keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
I recently just got into kegging, and I got a free 3ed keg out of the deal, but their was just one catch.....it has a small hole in the bottom of it.

I wasn't sure how deep the hole went (as it really looked like a deep, but small scratch on the inside), so I cut into the bottom "boot" around where I could see the hole, and YEA, its a pretty nice size hole, with a small circle like area around it where the metal is viably thinner than the rest of the area. I could poke through some sections of it with my knife.

now....what to do......is it worth it to seek out a welding shop to fix the small hole?

I'm SURE(?) that I can get the work done for a cheaper rate than, for example, buying another used keg, but will the work take? Will it work properly? Was it a mistake to cut into the bottom (I needed to see the extent of the damage, and from the cutting, I can see that it was far, far worse than originally thought)?

has anyone tried welding such a hole (and weak pocket of steel on the bottom), and have a successful, functional keg?

sanitary SS pressure vessel welding for the price of another used keg, not gonna happen. just scrap it and buy another one.

Unless you find a shop that can do it (correctly) and bargian with them that if they fix the hole you will bring the keg back full of beer for them to drink (and be the guinne pig for their repair :D). The cost of a simple blonde should be not to much!

If the bottom of the keg is thinned, just toss it. By the time the welder repairs all the leaks and welds in a plate or patches the bottom you will end up cheaper just buying another. I would salvage all of the fittings and the top for spares, but the rest of the container should take the long ride to the dump. Not worth trying to repair. I retired as a welder and can tell you that a good stainless welder worth his salt isn't gonna be cheap and if he has to really muck with it it will definitely become a losing cause quickly. Sorry.

Wheelchair Bob

I agree with the others, it is not worth the expense. Strip the parts and scrap it.

If the bottom of the keg is thinned, just toss it. By the time the welder repairs all the leaks and welds in a plate or patches the bottom you will end up cheaper just buying another. I would salvage all of the fittings and the top for spares, but the rest of the container should take the long ride to the dump. Not worth trying to repair. I retired as a welder and can tell you that a good stainless welder worth his salt isn't gonna be cheap and if he has to really muck with it it will definitely become a losing cause quickly. Sorry.

Wheelchair Bob

well it is just one leak and its one small section where the metal is thin. a section about 1/2 the size of a dime.

however, I'm really not feeling like taking a chance atm. seeing as their don't seem to be much (any?) success stories for this sort of thing and the main response is to just scrap it, that's what Ill probably end up doing it. Hopefully a few more kegs come onto the market by the end of the summer.

Back