bottling a bourbon barrel porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So one of my friends is trying out my bourbon barrel porter recipe but he only bottles. I have only ever kegged it. It's a 7% beer with at least a half a fifth of maker mark added to it. If he adds some EC-1118 and the standard priming sugar, will it still carbonate properly?

I don't see why it wouldn't carbonate even without the extra yeast. What is the thinking on adding the extra yeast?

I've heard you only need it for long primaries/secondaries with high alcohol. How long has it been in primary and secondary?

Are you thinking it's because of the increased alcohol content? My math says that 12 oz of Makers Mark will increase the ABV to about 7.7% so it's not increasing that much.

Finally, that sounds like a lot of bourbon to me, but I've never added it straight like that. I used a used bourbon barrel and mine was too bourbony, but I have no idea how much residual was in there.

When I did mine in August 2011, I added 16 ounces of bourbon and some oak chips about two weeks before bottling. I added NO additional yeast...and it bottle-conditioned and carbed up just fine.

glenn514:mug:

i have done two similar recipes and did not add any extra yeast. Both used one packet of US-05 from the start. Both turned out great with about perfect carbonation. Just give the beer time. This one really hit it's stride after 3 months.

When I did mine in August 2011, I added 16 ounces of bourbon and some oak chips about two weeks before bottling. I added NO additional yeast...and it bottle-conditioned and carbed up just fine.

glenn514:mug:

I did the same, used standard calculation in Beersmith, and it came out exactly as anticipated.

It will take more time to age, make sure you pass that along to him, at last two more weeks then it took you kegging.

Back