Keg Lube Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
Next week my first beer that is slated for the keg will be ready. So two nights ago I disassembled, cleaned (for the second time, can't be too safe), installed my new O-rings and reassembled two of my kegs. I also ran some Oxyclean through the kegs and out a picnic tap. Currently I have both kegs sitting full of 5 gallons of Oxyclean.

When I reassembled the kegs I covered every O-ring (including the new poppets) in keg lube. My question is, do I have to be worried about the Oxyclean adhering to the keg lube? Will it rinse off when i dump out the Oxyclean and rinse everything/run clean water through? Next time should I apply keg lube after cleaning? Am I just being a paranoid first time kegger?

I don't think it will be an issue. I would make sure you rinse everything very well and sanitize.

Personally, I would lube everything after all of that. The lube is most important on the lid. Make sure you have a good seal. When you got to seal the lid, lift the keg by the his handle. That will help seal it properly.

Hope this helps.

Keg lube doesn't wash off easily. It's great stuff. Use it liberally, especially on the lid gasket and post o-rings. I always relube the posts any time I remove and reattach the QDs.

Yeah, I don't think the Keg Lube will wash off with one round of OxyClean. I could barely get the stuff off my hands last night. I'm just afraid the OxyClean will stick to it everything that passes the lube will taste like OxyClean. It may not be a valid concern though.

Be careful not to leave the oxy in the keg too long, sometimes you can get deposits on the inside..

^ That happens. When it does, an acid rinse (standard Star San dilution, or white vinegar & water) will take that white film right off with no effort...

Cheers!

Back