If I dry hop...then I cant wash yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if the particles from the hop pellets make the yeast unusable and no good for washing? I am asking because the yeast sediment gets all mixed with the pulp coming from the pellets.

I use a hop bag to dry hop, to cut down on the trub. I've tried washing yeast from a batch I've dry hopped without a bag, and have had no problems. Just make sure you do a good wash before making a starter. It's also a common practice (according to BYO) to do a bigger, hoppier beer the next batch (think pale ale to IPA, or IPA to IIPA), I believe it was the march 2012 issue. I recently took a yeast cake from a batch of cascade pale ale, and made a batch of IPA with the same yeast with good results.

I repitched three times from dry hopped pale ales, no hop bag or anything, with several ounces of hops in a 5 gallon batches and had little to no carry over after washing twice with water. They were rebrews of the same recipe and they were close enough to taste them side by side. I have also repitched from some hoppy beers to some not as hoppy beers and was not able to detect extra bitterness in them. Go for it!

Yet another reason I dry hop with muslin hop sacks. Keeps things cleaner for those batches I wanna wash the yeast from.

I wash yeast from loose dry hopped APA/IPA all the time and just use it in the next hoppy beer, no problems.

I am planning to wash the yeast, put it in the fridge and make a starter 48 hours before the actual use.

The point of that article is to make a starter and split it in half. Refrigerate one half, and make a second starter with the other half to be used in your beer. If you already have your beer fermenting, then just use this going forward.

I've never had any trouble washing yeast after dry hopping. I use a little extra water and wash in more steps than if I didn't dry hop, but the hop particles will settle out long before the yeast does. You just have to be more proactive and pay more attention to when the hops do settle out.

I am wondering if the particles from the hop pellets make the yeast unusable and no good for washing? I am asking because the yeast sediment gets all mixed with the pulp coming from the pellets.

I transfer to secondary usually before my dry hop. If I dry hop or gelatin I like things to be nice and clean when I rack off the trub.

Latest posts

Back