Crafting All Extract Barleywine help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback23

Reaction score
I have some DME I want to get rid of and some honey, so I was thinking of making my won Barley wine with the ingredients. I'd like your help and and or suggestions.

# 12 DME ( 6# light) (#6 Dark)

1 to 2 lbs wild organic Sudanese honey ( Add at flame out)

HOPS:

2 OZ. CHINOOK 60MIN.
1 OZ. CLUSTER 60MIN.
2 OZ. CRYSTAL 30MIN.
2 OZ. CENTENNIAL 0 MIN.
DRY HOP WITH 2 OZ. CASCADE

Aerate HEAVILY and ferment with Safale US 05 or Champagne Yeast

Primary 4 weeks

Secondary 3 to 6 months

Dry hop 2 weeks 2 ounces of HOPS ( ???) not sure which one yet.

Bottle condition 4 weeks

What do you guys think? Will the Safale US 05 yeast work? Or should I go for the BIG Champagne Yeast?

More or less Honey?

Will this work?

I have some DME I want to get rid of and some honey, so I was thinking of making my won Barley wine with the ingredients. I'd like your help and and or suggestions.

# 12 DME ( 6# light) (#6 Dark)

1 to 2 lbs wild organic Sudanese honey ( Add at flame out)

HOPS:

2 OZ. CHINOOK 60MIN.
1 OZ. CLUSTER 60MIN.
2 OZ. CRYSTAL 30MIN.
2 OZ. CENTENNIAL 0 MIN.
DRY HOP WITH 2 OZ. CASCADE

Aerate HEAVILY and ferment with Safale US 05 or Champagne Yeast

Primary 4 weeks

Secondary 3 to 6 months

Dry hop 2 weeks 2 ounces of HOPS ( ???) not sure which one yet.

Bottle condition 4 weeks

What do you guys think? Will the Safale US 05 yeast work? Or should I go for the BIG Champagne Yeast?

More or less Honey?

Will this work?

Just brewed something similar. Hydrated 2 Safale 05's 30 minutes before pitching. Took off like a tornado and is still cooking away.

Agree with forgetting the late hop additions and dry hop. Big beers need to sit for a long while before they get good and aroma hops are gone by then anyway.

Just brewed something similar. Hydrated 2 Safale 05's 30 minutes before pitching. Took off like a tornado and is still cooking away.

Agree with forgetting the late hop additions and dry hop. Big beers need to sit for a long while before they get good and aroma hops are gone by then anyway.

I guess my question is do you think I can get away with one pack of Safale US 05 yeast?

I do want a little sweetness, like a proper Barleywine, but not cloying. I also want enough yeast in there to bottle ferment.

I'm scared if I use champagne yeast, it will taste to hot and too dry. I think the Safale, may be just right, but not sure.

I guess my question is do you think I can get away with one pack of Safale US 05 yeast?

I do want a little sweetness, like a proper Barleywine, but not cloying. I also want enough yeast in there to bottle ferment.

I'm scared if I use champagne yeast, it will taste to hot and too dry. I think the Safale, may be just right, but not sure.

Yeah I think it will work and make beer that tastes good just not as good as it could.

I've made similar batches with one pack of yeast and loved the result. I don't age in the carboy though. I get it in the bottle as soon as 3 weeks after pitching so don't know whether you'd have to add yeast or not.

Never used Champagne yeast for primary yeast.

ETA: A better way would be to make a lower gravity beer with the one pack and then put the barleywine on the yeast cake of that batch. Win/win

Yeah I think it will work and make beer that tastes good just not as good as it could.

I've made similar batches with one pack of yeast and loved the result. I don't age in the carboy though. I get it in the bottle as soon as 3 weeks after pitching so don't know whether you'd have to add yeast or not.

Never used Champagne yeast for primary yeast.

ETA: A better way would be to make a lower gravity beer with the one pack and then put the barleywine on the yeast cake of that batch. Win/win

Ha! Guest What! I was doing some research on this forum, and ran into a 40 page thread on why not to pitch on a yeast cake. i decided that I DO want to pitch on a yeast cake after reading that post! Guest what, i have a porter that's ready to come out. I made it with 6 pounds of Dark DME, so it should be a lower gravity. YES WIN! WIN! So i will def go this route, your post just sealed the deal mate! Yeast cake here we go! I'll let you know how it goes! THANKS!:mug:

Ha! Guest What! I was doing some research on this forum, and ran into a 40 page thread on why not to pitch on a yeast cake. i decided that I DO want to pitch on a yeast cake after reading that post! Guest what, i have a porter that's ready to come out. I made it with 6 pounds of Dark DME, so it should be a lower gravity. YES WIN! WIN! So i will def go this route, your post just sealed the deal mate! Yeast cake here we go! I'll let you know how it goes! THANKS!:mug:

You are welcome. Make sure you have a blow off tube ready. That thing is gonna take off.

I just did this about 3 weeks ago. I brewed up a porter specifically to use the yeast cake for my huge barelywine... 16-17% guestimating it'll finish around there. It went from 1.165 to about 1.06x in a week and a half. I need to check it again soon and then decide if I want to use a high gravity yeast (wlp099) to finish it off. I used wyeast 1056 american ale yeast for the the yeast.

FYI, I didn't get any blow off, but I have never had any blow off's with big beers, and I make a lot of them. But, rig one up anyways! :cross:

I just did this about 3 weeks ago. I brewed up a porter specifically to use the yeast cake for my huge barelywine... 16-17% guestimating it'll finish around there. It went from 1.165 to about 1.06x in a week and a half. I need to check it again soon and then decide if I want to use a high gravity yeast (wlp099) to finish it off. I used wyeast 1056 american ale yeast for the the yeast.

FYI, I didn't get any blow off, but I have never had any blow off's with big beers, and I make a lot of them. But, rig one up anyways! :cross:

Wow, interesting you didn't need a blow off, and you're considering finishing off with another yeast after pitching on a yeast cake. Are you in a cold climate?

Wow, interesting you didn't need a blow off, and you're considering finishing off with another yeast after pitching on a yeast cake. Are you in a cold climate?

Nope, new England. I usually ferment cooler, but this one was a little warmer. So I'm surprised, but not really because I've never had a blow of issue. It's such a big beer that the 1056's tolerance is 11% (I've actually had it go to 13%, and I've heard people using it for mead that went even higher) so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't finish where it would supposed to be. Remember, this is supposed to be a 16-17% beer. If it were 12% or lower,I wouldn't worry about it. I've done enough big beers to know this by now. Love my big beers!

As someone who is still an extract brewer and a fan of barleywines this is a really interesting thread. Thanks for posting and sharing Silverback23.

And are you from the Atlanta area? Just asking because of the Silverbacks soccer team down here and wondering if you are fan.

I was actually born just an hour and a half away from Atlanta in Alabama. Though now, I live and work in Sudan, far, far, far away. Silverback is because my wife and I recently went to see the Gorillas on a rainforest trek in Uganda at Bwindi National Park. The Silverback was so awesome, and was like only inches away from us. I thought my wife was going to day from a heart attack, and I nearly pissed my pants. Massive and muscular at 750 pounds! A BEAST! like these BIG BEERS!

I was actually born just an hour and a half away from Atlanta in Alabama. Though now, I live and work in Sudan, far, far, far away. Silverback is because my wife and I recently went to see the Gorillas on a rainforest trek in Uganda at Bwindi National Park. The Silverback was so awesome, and was like only inches away from us. I thought my wife was going to day from a heart attack, and I nearly pissed my pants. Massive and muscular at 750 pounds! A BEAST! like these BIG BEERS!

Wow, what a trip! Life has got to be very different out there. Is this a temp job, or more permanent? Good luck on the beer! :)

I wouldn't use dark LME in a barleywine. I think it will end up to dark and dark LME doesn't ferment very well. I am also not sure the honey will add anytihing. You might be better off with table or corn sugar instead to dry things out a bit. I wouldn't go with more than 1.5lb table sugar or it will probably end up to low.

2 packs of US-05 will be fine to ferment this.

I wouldn't use dark LME in a barleywine. I think it will end up to dark and dark LME doesn't ferment very well. I am also not sure the honey will add anytihing. You might be better off with table or corn sugar instead to dry things out a bit. I wouldn't go with more than 1.5lb table sugar or it will probably end up to low.

2 packs of US-05 will be fine to ferment this.

That's all I have at the moment, so I'm stuck with her.I'll let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back