IPA Recipe Incorrect? Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjpurpura

Reaction score
Hi all - I started brewing yesterday and pulled the directions out after starting to steep the grain Bag. I questioned them but called the shop and they said they were correct. Basically I am concerned about the no boil during the hop and LME/DME additions. Please see a quick review of the recipe and let me know your thoughts

Steep Grain bag 20 Minutes
Bring To a boil and then remove from stove top
Add LME/DME and bittering hops
Cook at 180 degrees for 45 minutes
Add Flavoring hops
Cook at 180 for 14 minutes
Add second half of flavoring hops for 2 minutes
Remove, cool, transfer and add yeast.

Just seems weird I wasn't boiling during the normal part. But the owner who is pretty knowledable said it's the way the recipe is made. Anyone ever hear of this?

THANKS!!

:ban:

It should work. It's hot enough to sterilize things and you will get bitterness from the hops. I've never heard of it though.

So it's basically one long hop stand. How big was that first flameout addition and did they list the expected IBU's? You do get some bitterness that way if the wort stays warm but as I understand it's hard to calcuate. There's a BYO article on the technique here. They mention a commercial brew who uses only hop stand additions but that's a cream ale. Does seem unusual for an IPA not to have any boiled addition. I've started doing some shorter hop stands on IPA's aiming for aroma and flavor, but I've been figuring the bittering contribution is not enough to worry about.

Back