Cider /Vineger Smell to My Harvest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinese

Reaction score
I have been harvesting a Bell's Two-Hearted yeast(from bottles)for the past few weeks in an erlenmeyer. A few days ago - after a solid feeding( 48-72 hrs with fresh wort). I went to put it in the fridge to let it layer out and it smelled of hard cider. Is it ruined. Is it the wort? Can I just decant and freshen it up with new wort? I have been very careful with sanitation . . . But I am somewhat of a newbie. Any ideas?

You're fine. Starters often smell/taste sour because you are encouraging oxygen exchange for the sake of yeast growth. That oxygen makes the starter wort/beer pretty funky after a while. There is an expression about a starter being about making yeast, not beer. Just stick the finished starter in the fridge and the yeast will settle to the bottom. Pour off the sour beer, and pitch the yeast into your brew.

Back