can I pitch onto yeast cake from secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnidelyWhiplash

Reaction score
I've heard to wash and reuse yeast from primary, I guess this assumes yeast from a secondary will not be healthy from the alcohol?

I have a lager that has been in the secondary for 6 weeks, 8 since I brewed it, starting at 50 degrees and now chilled down to 40. Yeast is 1st generation of WY 2308 Munich lager, beer is 1.060, and WY lists the alcohol tolerance at 9%, i have roughly 2x the amount of yeast on the bottom of the secondary as i used in the original starter.

I'm making the same kind, and oktoberfest, and it would save a lot of trouble to add some yeast nutrient to a new beer and pitch on this instead of making a huge starter for a lager.

Since the yeast pellet in secondary was by definition slower to flocculate, harvesting those cells may lead to low flocculation when you go to re-use

Since the yeast pellet in secondary was by definition slower to flocculate, harvesting those cells may lead to low flocculation when you go to re-use

But yes you could still pitch onto it. I've done it before and it turned out ok. I just wouldn't repitch batch after batch after batch.

Back