Show of your 2013 Hops Garden! (picture gallery)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawjr

Reaction score
Lets see those pictures of all your awesome setups for 2013!

I'll start with mine:

This is my second year, I've got four in halved barrels, and one in the ground by the fence. The one on the far right is the only new first year rhizome, a centennial, and then cascade to the left of that, then columbus, and then an unknown mystery variety which was given to me. The one in the ground is a cascade, I have in somewhat of a raised bed, but I want to see how it will do in this Georgia clay, so we'll see how that goes this year.

IMG_20130208_151345.jpg

IMG_20130208_151253.jpg

IMG_20130208_153702.jpg

very cool. This is going to be my first year using rhizomes. I don't have anything prepared yet. I think they are supposed to ship in march. Gotta take a trip to home depot and get some poles and fertilizer.

I'll start with mine:

This is my second year, I've got four in halved barrels, and one in the ground by the fence.
will you be giving those plants additional heights to scale once they make it to the top of those strings? because with the sun & heat y'all get in GA i'm pretty sure your plants will outgrow them by july, if not earlier.

all of my plants are still dormant and the ropes haven't been strung up yet. still a few months to go before that happens.

all of my plants are still dormant and the ropes haven't been strung up yet. still a few months to go before that happens.

Same here, and under at least a foot of snow. I'd love for the snow to melt and see some shoots coming up, but for that to happen, the snow would have to last another month, and I sincerely hope THAT doesn't happen.

I still have to plot out my garden this year. Last year, I had 4 cascade plants on the fence-line and 5 centennial plants near the deck.

After 2012 harvest, another HBT member sent me more rhizomes (3 varieties) that I planted in my existing beds for them to winter and begin establishing. Going to replant those in March/April. Still need to figure out where...

will you be giving those plants additional heights to scale once they make it to the top of those strings? because with the sun & heat y'all get in GA i'm pretty sure your plants will outgrow them by july, if not earlier.

Last year I experimented with lowering the rope and retying it to give it more height but it didnt really work out as well as I wanted to. This year I'm gonna just let them do whatever they want, and see what happens. If it doesn't work out I'm going to see about building a taller system next year. But you're right they will outgrow it quickly, I'm hoping I just end up with a big bush at the top as it grows onto itself. Who know if thats good for it, probably not but thats where I at this year.

I did already have 3 shoots come up from my columbus, but then we got a little cold rainy spell and they stopped growing. They'll probably come up in the next few weeks.

I couldn't help but laugh and then cry a little bit thinking about this thread and you damn southern folk who have thoughts are gardens in your heads because they are actually not to far off. Well, my thoughts at this point are still buried under a metric ass-ton of snow...

In a month or two though I should get some stuff poking up from the soil. A third year fuggle and a second year nugget that produced just a bit last summer.

Here's mine, a centennial, a galena and a Willamette. Plan on building a twine system up to the rafters in a couple weeks once the work on my house is finished.

image-1045224977.jpg

This is a shot of my cascade and nugget taken Saturday, May 4th. Cascade was 13 foot, nugget 11 foot then, each are a couple feet taller today. Have more pictures of them in Mississippi HomeBrew Forum. ---Mark F.---

hops may 4th 004.jpg

First year for hops for me. Centennial and Nugget. I just got them in the ground on 5/4 so hopefully I get a little something soon. I only see one of Nugget breaking ground ever so slightly. I still have to add the twine when they start coming up. Looks like a lot of the rigs here are much taller than mine, it's only about 10.5' so I guess we'll see what happens.

thumb2_imag0449-59752.jpg

Centennial 20 days in.
imag0477-59951.jpg

My 2 month old hops. First year. Accidentally slit one of the tips slightly today whilst training it in a different direction. It was half hanging on. Left it there hopping it will fix itself. :( I hope she is ok.

image-3465605364.jpg

Here's my first attempt at growing Hops. Willamette poking through. Cascade on the other side is starting to show as well.

Hops_zps13266c0a.jpg

And here's what they will grown on.

Trellis_zps07743ff4.jpg

Left to right Centennial, Cascade, and Chinook. I'll be building a raised bed and get them in the ground this winter.

ForumRunner_20130607_201402.jpg

vthokiebrewer said:
Nugget, Chinook, Centennial, & Cascade.

Dude, your garden looks awesome. From what I can see of it, it makes me want to grab a horse and round up some stray cattle, then grow some veg by the side. Can I come and live there? Promise I will be really quiet. :)

This is my first experience with hop growing. I am starting with two rhizomes each of Centennial and Willamette in the only space I could find with the most sun. You can see that I am height challenged with the pics. I have strung my twine from one bird pen to another one. Not pretty, but hopefully.....effective.

Apr 18 2013 (2).jpg

Update Jun 8 2013 (4).jpg

May 22 2013 (3).jpg

May 22 2013 (1).jpg

Update Jun 8 2013 (1).jpg

First year got Cascade, Newport and Columbus...Cascade really taking off. The others are going slow, hopefully building roots for next year!

Cascade on May 3rd 2013
2013-05-03%2008.50.20.jpg

Cascade on June 8th 2013
2013-06-08%2017.52.04.jpg

There are some crazy big side shoots, maybe 2' long now...its crazy how fast these things grow. Wasnt expecting any of them the first year to do so well, but with how big this thing already is and how far its spreading out i think i may actually get a decent crop off this thing this year.

Accidentally took off the tips of my EKG. Hoping the side shoots that are growing really quickly will take over. They look like they are going to. But this is what she looks like so far.

image-1966008304.jpg

I took these photos in May.

I keep these at my parents place outside of Napa, CA. Shows you what happens if you don't prune them enough!

2013-05-19 07.28.46.jpg

2013-05-19 07.28.31.jpg

Not much to look at. :(

Last august it seemed like it rained every day and I thought all my hops were dead. The leaves dried up and fell off. Not one cone to show for it.

I dug up and put in raised boxes, so not quite first year hops, but might as well be looking at the size of the rhizome. I lost both my chinooks, but 1 cascade, and 1 kent golding came back. I got some sterlings and more cascades from a brewing buddy.

We'll see how it goes this year. So far the sterlings are slow and small. Same with the goldings, but not quite as small. Cascades are good going it seems. The trellis is 20 ft btw.

Here's my first attempt, taken June 15, 2013.

img_1130-60255.jpg

Zeus, Nugget, Mt Hood and Centennial. The crowns did really well, and about half of the rhizomes sprouted. I just finished the ropes and trained them this morning, mostly due to laziness :)

Robyn

As of June 17th, my first year cascade is now off its hanging string and starting to climb up the support rope that is strung under my eaves. Thing just wont stop! The bottom of my eaves is 17 feet and its well beyond that now.

2013-06-17%2017.58.21.jpg

Against all the odds and punishment. True witness of the "hardy" meaning. Here's my humble setup with first year Cascades, Yeoman, Northern Brewer (DE), Opal, Hallertau Aroma, Hallertau Mittlefrüh, Fuggle (UK), and East Kent Golding.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back