first time questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azak

Reaction score
I started a cider 8 days ago. I was at the homebrew store talking to a guy that worked there wanting something with a fast return. I am making wine, and just have the itch to brew something I can drink now. He told me to go to the store and buy a gallon jug of applejuice and just throw in the yeast and yeast nutrient. So that is what I did. I noticed that as of yesterday the bubbling has almost stopped in the airlock, but I did not want to pull it out to de a hydrometer reading. I am not going to make this carbonated, so I am wondering if I should rack it, top off and let it go. Or should I rack it and add sorbate? This is assuming that my sg will be 1.000. I am leaving town tomorrow and not returning until Friday. Will there be any harm in just leaving it?

You need to do hydrometer reading. So bubbles stop/slow... that could mean it's finishing up or could mean yeast pooped out and you have a 1% Apple juice. If you sufficiently sanitize your equipment you shouldn't fear opening up your project every now and then.

You generally don't want to rack early, by the way. Yeast often times will "clean up" after themselves after active fermentation, potentially removing some off flavor compounds.

so one more question I have is, can I leave it too long? If I leave it without racking for 6 months is that ok
?

If it was clean when you started there's no real problem with leaving it for a long time. That being said, I would probably get it off the yeast cake after about 1 month. I don't have a great reason for that, but after cleaning up after themselves I suspect the yeast will start to become stressed and may give off flavours...maybe?
It won't take you long to drink a gallon....

Latest posts

Back