Glass carboys and better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomBapBrewing

Reaction score
My philosophy: ferment in better bottles and buckets. Age/condition in glass carboys. I figure if there is any oxygen getting through plastic that would be a positive for fermentation. There is no oxygen getting through glass and no scratches for bacteria to start growing.

you shouldn't have scratches deep enough for bacteria to hide from whatever cleaners and sanitizers you use, how would they get there? i only ferment in plastic and all of the fermentors are scratched, i've never had an infection because i clean and sanitize my gear before use.

Unless you're aging for a really long time, oxygen isn't a problem. You might as well use a bottle or keg as a secondary if you plan on doing the high ABV stuff.

Yeah I'm not 100% sold on the whole "scratches are trenches waiting to harbor bacteria" pitch. But I've heard it so much I feel like there must be some truth to it... just some thoughts... I'll shut up now...

Any bacteria that will add off flavors in secondary, would certainly be present in primary. Aside from Brett, lactobacillus, and a few other species of yeast most bacteria should be inhibited/killed by the alcohol levels present in secondary.
Proper sanitation practices and not using wire brushes to clean your plastic fermenters will protect your brew. Better bottles advertise as more oxygen getting into the brew through the airlock/stopper assembly than through the walls of the bottle, so I don't think oxygen is a problem in this case. Unless you're bulk aging for multiple years there shouldn't be a difference.

Back