Gelatin finings and Yeast interaction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a number of dumb things when brewing--here's another.

I brewed the now famous Centennial Blonde from the recipe section (AG) it was going superbly, chilled it down and realized that I didn't use Irish Moss or Whirfloc to clarify. I pitched my yeast and added a small amount (1/2) of a sleeve of constituted gelatin. Thoughts? Is it ruined? Anything I can to save it? It looked so damn good!

Thanks

I don't think it's ruined but you might see slow or stuck fermentation. Gelatin is normally used after fermentation is complete and aids in getting all of the stuff in suspension to drop out of suspension. Also, there is no need to worry about forgetting whirlfloc or Irish moss. I do it all the time and my beers turn out great!

Here's what it has done, I had it in a new plastic clear carboy so I had good vision...

It was moving like crazy, I had a huge head of krauesen form and a layer of sediment emerge on the bottom. There was very limited airlock activity.

The krausen and the movement is a good thing. Fermentation is active. Just ride it out for a few more days and take gravity readings. When the gravity is stable its done. It sounds to me that the gelatin you added didn't affect your brew at all

Latest posts

Back