Chilling a room temp force carbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterskj

Reaction score
Looking at a carbonation table...

If I have a room temp keg that I force carbed at 65F at 24 lbs (2.23 volumes).

If I put it in the fridge to chill to serving temps say 37 degrees - but without any gas lines connected - Will the result be:

- a 2.23 Volume beer with the head space at ~7lbs i.e "ready to go"

- or a beer that is over carbonated and needs treatment (venting a few times)
(the argument being that in the warmer beer the CO2 would not dissolve as much and the "extra CO2" in the head space will dissolve into my beer as it gets cooler)

I would think that once a beers CO2 volume is "set" and the gas line is removed temperature variations will result in different Headspace pressures but he CO2 levels in the beer would be stable (well except at the time of temperature change and a small equilibrium time afterwards)

I would think that once a beers CO2 volume is "set" and the gas line is removed temperature variations will result in different Headspace pressures but he CO2 levels in the beer would be stable (well except at the time of temperature change and a small equilibrium time afterwards)

^^^ This. Temp is important for absorbing the CO2 but onces its set and the desired level is reached, as long as the keg is sealed the beer won't go flat.

Back