PVC pipe glue for bucket repair?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
I got a crack in one of my 6.5 gal. buckets that started at the edge of the hole I drilled for my spigot. It is just long enough to extend past the washer and allow leakage. I could pitch it but being a tightwad I was wondering if I could cut a rectangle (maybe 2"x2") from another bucket and glue it over the old hole, setting it fully in pvc pipe-joining glue, which must be OK for incidental food contact since it is used in potable water pipe(?). Would it bond the plastic? Is this just a really bad idea? Does anybody have another idea?

I don't know if you can glue two pieces of HDPE with CPVC glue. HDPE is thermowelded.

But, while PVC and HDPE are rated at a higher temperature, the cement starts to weaken around 100F to 110F. So there is that limit, assuming it works.

I'd be more concerned with the ability to keep the crack clean. Replacing a bucket is cheaper than an infected beer.

HDPE is solvent and chemical resistant, whereas PVC dissolves in many solvents. Most PVC glues chemically 'weld' the plastic together by dissolving the two portions of pipe using some mixture of Acetone, MEK, xylene and other solvents with PVC already dissolved in them to give it that gel texture.

In short unless you have access to an ultrasonic plastic welder spend the 10 bucks on a new bucket like BrewChem opined.

JB Water Weld will do what you want. It's NSF approved (food safe) and good to something like 250 degrees. Home Depot carries it.

JB Water Weld will do what you want. It's NSF approved (food safe) and good to something like 250 degrees. Home Depot carries it.

Looked at this post, then went to Homedepot.com to find out more about J-B Weld 2 oz. KwikPlastic Adhesive Putty Stick. Looked at the MSDS found here.

BPA!?! Really? Since all bottles with BPA have been effectively banned, I would not use it. That being said, I'm not a new age hippie or anything but just remember you will be leaching BPA into every batch of beer you make.

Back